how to speed up drawing of 3d model?

Hi, I would like to ask, if I have created some 3dmodel, both dynamic (such as moving robot) and static (such as tree), how can i speed up the drawing? I have tried to use display list or vertext array, I failed in using them because the model involve too many vertex and i cna’t find the texture coordinate from the model…

Hi !

There are a number of ways to speed up rendering, like vertex buffers and so on, they all do this by putting as much vertex data as possible in memory that can be accessed by the GPU in the fastest possible way.

If you have a huge amount of static data and the camera does not move you may also render it one time and save it in a buffer and render that buffer each time, if you include the depth values in the buffer it will work with the depth testing so that you draw thing “over” and “under” the static data.

Mikael

Originally posted by candy:
I have tried to use display list or vertext array, I failed in using them because the model involve too many vertex and i cna’t find the texture coordinate from the model…
What do you mean? Do you recalculate your texture coordinates every frame?

Perhaps you can deliver some more details and we may be able to give you some pointers into the right direction.

The doctor can only help you if he knows where it hurts. :wink:

hi, because the robot and tree are produced by Max 3d Studio and are saved as .3ds, I dont’ know how to find the texture coordinate corresponding to each vertex to tell the vertex array…

What I dont understand is, when you are already drawing the model you must have the texture coordinates?

Anyway you can tell 3dmax to save the tex coords into the .3ds file and just use them or am I missing something?