render in command line

Hi,

is it possible to render to texture and save it to a file without opening an opengl window and context, like from plain command line.

thx in advance

/e

Check for Mesa

You need a valid rendering context before you can do any rendering, so in short, no.

Originally posted by Aeluned:
You need a valid rendering context before you can do any rendering, so in short, no.
I’m not really sure about this Aeluned, but you might be true. However that has already been discussed in those forums, but can’t remember it.
Mesa OS is meant to be an off-screen GL renderer, that’s almost all what I’m sure.

interesting…

the RC is mandatory: it is the data structure wich keeps opengl together… but nothing prevent it to be tied to a logical graphics system.

OSMesa can render to offscreen framebuffers, and probably works somehow on the line…

i suppose the only thing, renderings won’t be accelerated… since probably the temporary framebuffer won’t be in video memory…
but who knows.

btw, why do you wish to render to a texture, and then save the pixels ?
why don’t simply render and save the framebuffer ?

thx for the answers. about this issue: i want to render a small ascii animation like this:

• render frame with opengl to texture/memory
  • convert to ascii
  • display it in ascii mode

sounds useless - i know… :slight_smile:

any idea, how to achieve this?
[i dont want to display the ascii converted texture as fonts in the RC - sounds like more useless stuff :slight_smile: ]

thx in advance

Originally posted by dmy:
[b]interesting…

the RC is mandatory: it is the data structure wich keeps opengl together… but nothing prevent it to be tied to a logical graphics system.

OSMesa can render to offscreen framebuffers, and probably works somehow on the line…

i suppose the only thing, renderings won’t be accelerated… since probably the temporary framebuffer won’t be in video memory…
but who knows.

btw, why do you wish to render to a texture, and then save the pixels ?
why don’t simply render and save the framebuffer ?[/b]