Importing image files (AUX or smthn else)?

After reading NeHe’s tutorials I understood how to import BMP files using AUX lib, however, I’ve heard that AUX isn’t quite the best thing in OGL, because it was ment to be some kind of demo module. So I leaped to GLUT, after all even NVIDIA’s Cg demos includes it!
The question is how can I import BMP’s without AUX?
I’have some routines for TGA files, but that isn’t the topic I’m up to right now.

Just as there are routines for loading TGA’s there are also ones for loading BMP.
Later in the nehe tutors, I remember a BMP loader routine.

I use TGA’s file format myself, since it is not owned by Microsoft like BMP is.

Originally posted by M/\dm/
:
After reading NeHe’s tutorials I understood how to import BMP files using AUX lib, however, I’ve heard that AUX isn’t quite the best thing in OGL, because it was ment to be some kind of demo module. So I leaped to GLUT, after all even NVIDIA’s Cg demos includes it!
The question is how can I import BMP’s without AUX?
I’have some routines for TGA files, but that isn’t the topic I’m up to right now.

I use TGA’s file format myself, since it is not owned by Microsoft like BMP is.

Guess, what. It’s jointly owned by Microsoft and IBM. Thus all the OS/2 identifiers at the beginning of the header.

Besides that, not using a file format because it’s owned by a particular company seems kind of stupid.

I prefer TGAs myself, but mainly because it’s easier to work with alpha channels. Why not mention that instead as your reason? But no, you instead jump on the Anti-MS bandwagon for every little thing that MS has ever touched.

Was not to be a total bash of MS, just that one day when I complete a game.
Just don’t want to have someone say, you used our file format in your game. Send us boat loads of money…

I also like the fact about alpha channel loading with TGA’s.

Originally posted by Deiussum:
[b] Guess, what. It’s jointly owned by Microsoft and IBM. Thus all the OS/2 identifiers at the beginning of the header.

Besides that, not using a file format because it’s owned by a particular company seems kind of stupid.

I prefer TGAs myself, but mainly because it’s easier to work with alpha channels. Why not mention that instead as your reason? But no, you instead jump on the Anti-MS bandwagon for every little thing that MS has ever touched.[/b]

> Besides that, not using a file format
> because it’s owned by a particular company
> seems kind of stupid.

Ha! Care to explain why?

I avoid MS-proprietary file formats like the plague so that anyone can open the files I send them.

BMP files are NOT MS-Proprietary, though. There is nothing that says they can only be opened in Windows. As I stated above, IBM also was involved in the creation of the format. And I have never seen anywhere that says that using BMP files on another OS would be violating some licence. Maybe stupid wasn’t the best word to use. Ignorant would have been better.

Edit: Just htought I’d add a little addendum. If you use TGA files, you are still going to be excluding people who only have image programs such as Paint that come with Windows. Not everyone knows about some of the freely available image packages like the Gimp.

[This message has been edited by Deiussum (edited 10-14-2002).]