How to get it

I’ve looked all over this site, but where can i download open GL? all i’ve found looks like drivers. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Thats all OpenGL really is. Graphics cards that support OpenGL allow programmers to access the commands stored within those driver files.

Some development softwares automatically include the source code needed for the core commands so you could get coding with just those files alone.

An example is visual c++ 6.0 which comes with gl.h, glu.h and glaux.h and their respective lib files. Using tutorials at nehe.gamedev.net you should be able to get OpenGL projects up and running.

If you have another development environment you need to do a search for the .h files in a directory most likely called include/GL and the .lib files in the lib directory. Both of these directories should be within the development software directory.

If you follow the tutorials on nehe you shouldn’t have too many if any problems.

Tina

I have the same problem.

A nice person told me to download a compiler that had all the librarys nessesary to start programming.

you can find this compiler(minGw) at www.mingw.org

I did - but I still don’t know if it works because I can’t get glut to work.

I don’t have the .dll files the FAQ say I need (http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical/gettingstarted.htm#0010) - they didn’t come with the compiler - and I don’t know where to get them (well I got the glut.dll)

All in all I can’t help you much - but now you know you are not alone

OpenGL is a open source standard 3D graphics library.
Yes in a way it is a 3D video driver standard, so that you only need to program in openGL standard code.
Just like windows video card drivers, convert commands from windows into ones the video card understands.
The same for 3D video commands, each card has its own set of 3D commands.
But video cards that support openGL, the driver converts the openGL command into one it understands.

Direct X is the same idea.

Originally posted by mr_han_solo2003:
I’ve looked all over this site, but where can i download open GL? all i’ve found looks like drivers. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated.

I don’t have the .dll files the FAQ say I need (http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical/gettingstarted.htm#0010) - they didn’t come with the compiler - and I don’t know where to get them (well I got the glut.dll)

Do you mean opengl32.dll and glu32.dll? These come standard with Windows versions 95b and later. They are in the windows\system directory.

Do you mean opengl32.dll and glu32.dll? These come standard with Windows versions 95b and later. They are in the windows\system directory.

• I searched the system directory and couldn’t find them. Then I found them in a folder called system32. I coppied them to the system folder, but I still get linker errors…
    thanks anyway

Try this page, it might help you:
http://hem.passagen.se/opengl/getstarted/

Jan.

Doesn;t microsoft do a SDK with example code, manuals etc. all zipped together? like apple/SG