View Full Version : Question on GLUT_WINDOW_DOUBLEBUFFER

02-04-2004, 12:48 AM
Hello everyone,
this morning I was programming a little glut program and I wanter to play around with the state retrieval mechanism. So I called glGet(GLUT_WINDOW_DOUBLEBUFFER); which returns 1 for a double buffer and 0 for a single buffer. The thing is even though I initialized my window with glInitDisplayMode(GLUT_SINGLE | GLUT_RGB); glGet return me a 1. Is this a bug or is it that even though I request a single buffer the window system (X window in this case) treats me with double buffers. I had flickering though which suggests that my program was using one buffer. The glut implemantations is one of the latest from mesa (6.x).

02-04-2004, 03:48 AM
You still could get flicker even with double buffer if your scene is complex and your system is too slow or it is being done in software vs. hardware.

02-04-2004, 07:20 AM
really I didn't know that? But isn't it strange that though I'm requesting a single buffer I get a double one? And still have the troubles of a single buffer? (I also think that if I request double buffer the flickering goes away, so the system is not that slow) It reminds me of the problem with windows when you do not request a depth buffer but you still get one. It took me a while (and a bit of programming opengl in linux) to figure out that there was a GLUT_DEPTH, for glutInitDisplayMode. I thought at the time that GLUT_DOUBLE | GLUT_RGBA was all I needed for a small application.

I'd also like to add that I use 3 windows in my application, a left and a right one (on the right one I create a subwindow). I don't know if this has anything to do with it. I just did a compile in windows of another program and tried glutGet(GLUT_WINDOW_DOUBLEBUFFER) and it reported correctly.

[This message has been edited by moucard (edited 02-04-2004).]

02-04-2004, 11:44 AM
I have written openGL programs for both windows and linux using GLUT.

I have to go back a run a few on the linux machine and see if I notice any flicker on the more complex.