how to open auxillary window in opengl

I’m trying to learn opengl

I developed a simple 3D maze. The problem is, once i enter into the maze i don’t know where iam. I haven’t used lighting or texturing(i don’t know that as well), so it just the color of the wall that fills the window. I want to open an auxillary window and that should be in 2D(top view of the maze), with my location in maze. I don’t want the aux. window to be inactive(no controls). It should tell where i am, that’s all.

can anybody tell me how to achieve this?

backup infos:
-using VC++ platform.
-using opengl codes fully.
-using glutcreatewindow to create main window

simon

The problem in creating a window with GLUT is that you don’t know the underlying code for creating a window. Using GLUT is mainly part of a testfase for quickly creating a testwindow for your 3D scene. I would advise you to learn some basic windows programming (not so tough) skills like how to create a window from scratch. That way you can create any window you like and even MDI windows etc.!

If you don’t know where to start, mail me and i will help you.

Ciao,

Niftybitz.

You could put a small map at the bottom of your current screen or make a overlay of the map on the screen, like used in quake style games.

Originally posted by simonH:
[b]I’m trying to learn opengl

I developed a simple 3D maze. The problem is, once i enter into the maze i don’t know where iam. I haven’t used lighting or texturing(i don’t know that as well), so it just the color of the wall that fills the window. I want to open an auxillary window and that should be in 2D(top view of the maze), with my location in maze. I don’t want the aux. window to be inactive(no controls). It should tell where i am, that’s all.

can anybody tell me how to achieve this?

backup infos:
-using VC++ platform.
-using opengl codes fully.
-using glutcreatewindow to create main window

simon[/b]