hardware

Simple question: how do I enable hardware rendering on Win32. Do I need a different DLL?

Hardward rendering is done through the video cards opengl driver, if you card supports hardware rendering then it will automaticly use it. Any rendering feature not supported by your video card with be done with the software rendering.

Originally posted by kalavinka:
Simple question: how do I enable hardware rendering on Win32. Do I need a different DLL?

I can see a definite difference between hardware rendering and software rendering on my Voodoo card, but when I compile an OpenGL app it appears to use only software rendering. I don’t get hardware acceleration automatically! I guess this is a limitation in the M$ opengl DLL. Isn’t there an implementation available from a vendor which hasn’t got a competing 3d API? Or am I just at the mercy of Microsoft on Win32. If that’s true I’ll go back to BeOS!

From what I remember of the Voodoo cards, there wasn’t a full OpenGL ICD. You could try finding a mini driver that’s used by a number of games and dropping that DLL into the same directory as your project.

Same old question!
Take a look here for an explanation: http://www.gamers.org/dEngine/quake3/bwh_gl.txt
Then if you want to accelerate your apps, find the file 3dfxvgl.dll. Copy it in your app’s directory, and rename to opengl32.dll.

If you have the last driver version (eventually www.glsetup.com)) this is a FULL driver, not a mini driver. But it does not support the ICD mechanism.
bye
fz
fz