Fragment Programs on NV25

Is it possible build fragment programs that will run in OpenGL on the NV25 architecture? Using OpenGL 1.4, I’ve enumerated the list of extensions available on my system, yet neither ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM nor NV_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM appear. I have a GeForce4 Ti4600 which does support elementary pixel shaders in DirectX, but for reasons with which I’m sure you’re all familiar, I’d rather use OpenGL. Any suggestions?

Originally posted by Physicles:
Is it possible build fragment programs that will run in OpenGL on the NV25 architecture? Using OpenGL 1.4, I’ve enumerated the list of extensions available on my system, yet neither ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM nor NV_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM appear. I have a GeForce4 Ti4600 which does support elementary pixel shaders in DirectX, but for reasons with which I’m sure you’re all familiar, I’d rather use OpenGL. Any suggestions?

Maybe the driver doesn’t support these ARB extensions.I have a GF4 Ti4200,and the driver version is 43.51,and I can use ARB_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM on my computer.

There is no “ARB” fragment program support for Geforce 3/4 cards. You will need to use the Texture_Shader/Register_combiner Nvidia extensions. (equivelent to DX ps.1.1 -ps.1.3)

The only way you can get ARB_fragment_program support on a Geforce4 is by enabling the (really slow) software emulation option. (Nvidia site has a download for this with their Cg stuff)

(ARB_vertex_program exists and works in hardware however)

But you have all the reg combiner stuff

Thanks a lot, I’ll take a look at those other nVidia extensions.

BTW, try cg I think it’s now able to compile stuff under fp20 (gf3/gf4) to reg combiners.