What is FPS ?

What is FPS ?
How can I estimate the speed of my OpenGL
program.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, sorry, no offense, but I never imagined anybody would ask such a question. Frames Per Second. Surely you know what one frame is, right?

Frames per second. To get that number, simply count how many frames have been drawn in a fixed amount of time, or do the opposite and see measure how much time has passed after drawing a fixed number of frames. You divide the number of frames by the amount of time required to draw those frames and thats your FPS, assuming you are using seconds as your time unit. However, expect that number to jump around. To stabilize the FPS reading, you can use real time averaging.

[This message has been edited by DFrey (edited 07-11-2001).]

Mind you, FPS also stands for First Person Shooter…

Eric

Another one in ISDN-communication field:

Fast Packet Switching

No no no.

Furry Pet Stroking.

Does anyone have code for displaying the FPS in an OpenGL program, or atleast computing it?

oh come on! you can code your own fps counter… it’s not hard at all!!

here’s the pseudo code

start=current time
draw frame
end=current time
timeToRender=end-start //difftime()
fps=1/timeToRender

Thank you, but I am still brushing up on my Win32 skills and I am not too familiar with WM_TIMING. What function would I use to get the current time? Could you possibly post an actual code snippet for an FPS renderer?

It took me about 5 seconds using the “Search” feature of this board to come up with:
http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum2/HTML/004390.html

Why don’t people believe in using Search engines anymore?