S3 troubles. [n00b here don't know where to go.]

Alright, here is my problem. Whenever I try to open a game in OpenGL or direct 3D the game crashes or my system restarts about thirty-seconds into the game. I have an S3 Graphics Prosavage DDR. My DxDiag information is going to be listen bellow if anyone thinks they can help.

Edit: sometimes I get an extremely distorted ‘Blue Screen of Death’ when I play games in Direct 3D or open GL.

System Information

Time of this report: 11/15/2003, 12:40:26
Machine name: YOUR-TWA0MACJQU
Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) (2600.xpclnt_qfe.021108-2107)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: eMachines, Inc.
System Model: L7VMM
BIOS: KM266 - 42302e31
Processor: AMD Athlon™ XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1673MHz
Memory: 480MB RAM
Page File: 162MB used, 960MB available
Primary File System: NTFS
DirectX Version: DirectX 8.1 (4.08.01.0810)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.01.2600.0000 32bit Unicode

[This message has been edited by Sanctums (edited 11-15-2003).]

The problem could be alot of issues. I suspect a memory problem.

I am curious how you managed to get 480 mb of RAM into it. This would be 1 256 mb, 1 128 mb, 1 64, and 1 32 mb ram stick, unless there is another combination I didn’t think of?

Try removing the ram and leave one 256 stick and see what happens.

Alright, how would removing ram help at all?

because weird combinations of ram screw things up. Some machines won’t even accept two sticks of different types, everything needs to be consistent. Its certainly worth a try. Besides a 32 meg stick must be really old, and most likely incompatible with what you have

I didnt even know that you could get a 32MB DDR stick, the only ones I have ever seen where SDR PC66.

Anyhow, just try the 256MB stick alone and see how it goes.

Hi,
Can’t anyone see that the guy has 512 MB of memory and the integrated video uses 32 MB?
Anyway, he should upgrade to a nForce2G or buy a separate graphics card. And make a clean install of the system.

Try the web site www.s3graphics.com for the most recent driver updates for the KM266 integrateg-graphics Northbridge. You’ll need to be sure the .DLL file for OpenGL support is provided with the driver package. If all else fails, you’d be better off investing about$79 and getting yourself a decent DX8 equivalent graphics card with >=64MB video memory. The KM266 supports AGP4X expansion graphics, so you’ll do just fine with an inexpensive AGP4X graphics card.

Jim

I just opened up THE BEAST [Or my Dell as other people call it] And there are two 256 of DDR sticks in there. But my computer reads it as 480…

[This message has been edited by Sanctums (edited 11-19-2003).]

Ugh…double post.

[This message has been edited by Sanctums (edited 11-19-2003).]

Hi,
In my previous post I said that from the 512 MB you have, 32 are used by the integrated graphics controller (and it probably can’t use more than 32). If you reinstall the operating system and the graphics drivers (which for Win XP might be already included in the system), then you should be able to have a working OpenGL (although the integrated S3 isn’t a performer, you should have an integrated GeForce4 MX to get acceptable performance).

Hey guys. I want to say thanks for your help. Well Tzupy anyway. I just bought a GeforceFX 5200[AGP] and all my games work great for it.

[This message has been edited by Sanctums (edited 11-22-2003).]

How do I access the BIOS menu?