vertex arrays, normals and Crossroads (3DS)

I am beginning to use vertex arrays and really need some help. I am trying to display a simple cube with data that looks like this:

//-------------------------------------------------------------

typedef struct MeinPointStruct {
GLdouble x, y, z;
} MeinPoint;

MeinPoint Quader_vertex[] = { { -10.0, -10.0, -10.0},
{ -10.0, 10.0, -10.0},
{ 10.0, 10.0, -10.0},
{ 10.0, -10.0, -10.0},
{ -10.0, -10.0, 10.0},
{ 10.0, -10.0, 10.0},
{ 10.0, 10.0, 10.0},
{ -10.0, 10.0, 10.0} };

GLubyte Quader_face[] = { 0,1,2,
4,7,1 };

glEnableClientState(GL_VERTEX_ARRAY);
glVertexPointer(3, GL_DOUBLE, 0, Quader_vertex);

glDrawElements(GL_TRIANGLES, 6, GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, Quader_face);

//----------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see I only select the first 6 points to be displayed to be able to see what the result looks like. Well, I really can see what I expect: The first face of the cube made out of two triangles. The problem is the light - or maybe I should say the normal vectors.
I thought that the normal vector (the one for all three point of the triangle) is given by the order of the vertices in one triangle: clockwise or counterclockwise…?
But when I look how the face is reflecting the light, that doesn’t seem to be true. Then I remembered glFrontFace() but it didn’t do anything. I also changed the order of the first three points to 0, 2, 1.
What am I doing wrong?

By the way: The reason why I try this is that I wanted to display some data exported with Crossroads from a 3DS file.
The original index array had a 4th column that was always -1.
Does anybody know why? I deleted this column because this doesn’t seemed to be any information…
And as Crossroads didn’t export any normal information I didn’t activated GL_NORMAL_ARRAY.
Is there someone who can help me or has a (hopefully simple) example of how to use vertex arrays in general or especially Crossroad exported meshes?

It sounds like you are expecting OpenGL to generate the normals for you. It won’t. If you’re using a vertex array for this, you would probably be best off creating a normal array, which should have a normal for each vertex. If you’re not sure how to calculate the normal yourself, search the form. There are numerous posts describing how to do that.