GL headers

Does anyone know where I can get the OpenGL header files? My compiler didn’t come with them.

Check the FAQs and download sections of this site.

I found the OpenGL 1.4 specifications, they’re excellent so now I can get the functions out of the .dll files but for some reason the specs don’t seem to mention some things like

glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES);

Whats the value of GL_TRINAGLES? :S

Btw I whent to the FAQ and I get an invalid URL error

What compiler are you using?
What OS are you using?

nehe.gamedev.net has good example of how to use openGL

//Start of vertex data
glBegin(GL_TRIANGLES); // TRIANGLES is what we are going to build, GL_LINES, build lines, etc
glVertex3f( x1, y1, z1); // First point on our triangle
glVertex3f( x2, y2, z2); // Second point
glVertex3f( x3, y3, z3); // thrid point
// can start another triangle or end
glEnd();

but you really need to get a good grasp of opengl use a site with tutor like nehe.gamedev.net

Originally posted by RamboBones:
Does anyone know where I can get the OpenGL header files? My compiler didn’t come with them.

All I want to know is what the values for the various defines in OpenGL 1.4 are. Why is that so hard to understand? Somebody has to know because how else do we write OpenGL programs!

They’re in the header files. Go to the download section and download the opengl95.exe which will extract the headers, libs, and dlls. Windows only supports OpenGL v1.1 in software. So, to support higher versions you have to use extensions. Also, download the glext.h, and wglext.h files which will help you with extensions from the FAQs section under extensions.

[This message has been edited by shinpaughp (edited 03-27-2003).]

Those only contain 1.1 definitions. I want the 1.4 ones.

All I want to know is what the values for the various defines in OpenGL 1.4 are

Read it again! The glext.h contains all the definitions and function prototypes for just about every extension.

[This message has been edited by shinpaughp (edited 03-27-2003).]

But I don’t want to use extensions I want to use the core functionality of 1.4.

And, I don’t want to work, I want to be rich and wealthy.

“You can’t always get what you want”. (Rolling Stones) Come on everybody… sing along… gulp… cough… cough… sniff…

Why not go to the download section from the homepage of this site and read the 2 paragraphs regarding Windows in their entirety. Then you should read the entire FAQs section accessed from the homepage of this site or just the part regarding extensions. A lot of good info for beginners in the FAQ section. Then go to http://msdn.microsoft.com and read about OpenGL there, especially extensions. Then maybe check out some tutorial sites or buy a book about OpenGL.

Oh, and did I mention… you access the core functionality of version 1.4 through extensions.

Good luck

GROAN

Okay, thanks. Sorry for my not understanding. It all becomes clear to me now.

Not a problem.

Using the functions through extensions is just an additional step which is really quite easy, though a slight bit tedious.

How about asking the question correctly, you got an answer based on what you asked.

Maybe if you had asked about the 1.4 define values in the first place.

And don’t get me stated about Microsoft’s who at first supported openGL… and now would update their library for 1.4

Originally posted by RamboBones:
All I want to know is what the values for the various defines in OpenGL 1.4 are. Why is that so hard to understand? Somebody has to know because how else do we write OpenGL programs!

I (try) to keep a decently recent set of OpenGL include files here:
http://hem.passagen.se/opengl/getstarted/

(check the “GL Includes” section)

It’s gl.h, glu.h and glext.h, in a nice (near) platform/compiler independent package. The present version supports OpenGL 1.4.

As noticed above, you still need to treat GL 1.2+ functions as extensions, but all the defines are there.

Thanks guys.