multithreading in graphics??

Hi,
Is there any mutlithreading in openGL??Can i run two openGL programs simultaneously and capture each of these images separately in two separate image arrays using glReadPixels() function??

Thanks in advance.

Rajesh

You can do multithreading with opengl if the platform you are coding on support it.

But for what you want to do, you’ll have to have two RC. One for each image you want to render.

In windows, you could create two child window, assign each of them an RC and then thread the rendering of the two window.

Originally posted by Gorg:
[b]You can do multithreading with opengl if the platform you are coding on support it.

But for what you want to do, you’ll have to have two RC. One for each image you want to render.

In windows, you could create two child window, assign each of them an RC and then thread the rendering of the two window.

[/b]

Hi Gorg, thanks for replying. I couldn’t understand what you meant by the word RC.and can i do this using the fork() function of C??I am working on Unix solaris version.

Thank you

Rajesh

Sorry, RC stands for Rendering Context. But as how it works on unix, I have no clue.

I guess you’ll just have to test it.

I don’t know if it can help you but there is 2 tutorial on multithreading at www.flipcode.com in the tab developpement tutorial (left of screen)