Windows vs. Display Lists

Alright, so I have a program with display lists. It uses GLUT to run.

Then, I try to transform the program to run as a Win32 app. I have used NeHe’s code, almost to the letter. Here is the code that I am inserting:

GLuint superHandler;

superHandler = glGenLists(1);
if(superHandler == 0)
exit(22);

Well, needless to say it always exits with code 22, because glGenLists returns 0 every time. Anyone know why this happens, or anything that could possibly cause glGenLists to return a zero? I checked, and all the include’s and linked libraries match, save for the glut libraries. But, glGenLists, doesn’t use glut, right? Any help would be vastly appreciated! Thanks!

Make sure you aren’t calling glGenLists() between glBegin()/glEnd() pair.

Bode

When you are using GLUT, you don’t have to take much care about where you call OpenGL-functions. First, you initialize your window(s) and set callback functions, then you enter the never ending mainloop. GLUT will will then create an OpenGL-context for you, then start calling your functions.

Now, if you write “your own” codebase, you must make sure you actually got a context before you making call to OpenGL, else they will not be processed properly (for example, return 0 when calling glGenLists).

Thanks man. I’ll have to give that a try. I was making the glGenList calls in WinMain, before anything else happened. I thought perhaps it was a memory allocation issue… I was too used to the graceful simplicity of GLUT. I guess I’m just not quite in the mindset for this damndable “tip-of-the-iceberg” programing.