what are the basic requirements to execute a OpenGL program

hai friends,

I am beginner for the OpenGL programming. I am getting confused about basic requirements to run a OpenGL program. Right now i am having compaq system with pentium 4 processor loaded with redhat linux version 9

What actually we need to run a OpenGL program. I am using intel C++ compiler.

Is any drivers needed to run a OpenGL program?

Is any other software required?
Is any other servers required?

Thanks & Regards.
Yug.

Hi !

There is a Linux specific forum here so you might get better help by posting there.

Anyway, the X server does have OpenGL support, but it’s I guess it’s just software rendering so it might be a bit slow, to get “real” openGL support you need to get a driver for your display hardware, just check what kind of hardware you have and go out and chase drivers at that manufacturers website.

Mikael

No, you have openGL support under RedHat linux and all the files should be there for compiling an openGL program, except for maybe the GLUT library.

Other thing is a good 3D video card, nVidia and ATI have hardware support under linux for most of their cards. nVidia has there own linux hardware drivers which are better then the ones that are shipped with RedHat, you can go to their site and download. ATI also has hardware support that is shipped with Redhat, but driver written by dri project if I remember correctly.

Originally posted by yugandhar:
[b]hai friends,

I am beginner for the OpenGL programming. I am getting confused about basic requirements to run a OpenGL program. Right now i am having compaq system with pentium 4 processor loaded with redhat linux version 9

What actually we need to run a OpenGL program. I am using intel C++ compiler.

Is any drivers needed to run a OpenGL program?

Is any other software required?
Is any other servers required?

Thanks & Regards.
Yug.[/b]