glSelectBuffer

Hi

I want to paint different patterns on the surface of my figure in OpenGL. One of you guys told me that I could use glSelectBuffer to do that. In the docs for glSelectBuffer
they say that one can use that for determining which primitives
are drawn in some regions of a window. That is how far I understand Well, I´m quiet new to OpenGL so I guess it´s because of that.
But can somebody give me a hint how it works?? Is there any nice examples I can look at??

Thanks!!

/grodslukaren

glSelectBuffer is for picking and selection procedures, You need paint patterns interactively?

[This message has been edited by Boresight (edited 05-31-2001).]

I´d like to paint when I create the figure ( or after), but I´m planning to make a “video” if it works fine. So in that case I don´t want to create my object over and over again, just paint over the old “paint”.

/grodslukaren

Picking and selecting can identify a particular polygon at the mouse coordinates. Then you can do something with that polygon ( change its color? ). All my polys are saved in a vector and when one is picked I go to that particular one ( the position equals its name ) and do something. Both the Red book and the Superbible cover picking and at least the Red book is online.
Good luck,
Barry

I don’t know how glSelectBuffer can help you about drawing patterns on surfaces.

What do you want to do?

Maybe we can help you.

Ok. First thanks for your help so far. Maybe I can use the glSelectBuffer… But I´ll explain it as good as I can…

The goal is to display a pattern, over a figure of a head, that shows the intensity over the head. (EEG-signals) I have ~20 points that I´d like to assign different colour depending on the intensity and then mix this colours over the head to get a nice picture…

First, this will just be done when I create the head and nothing will be changed. But I plan to make a “video” out of it when it runs good, so I´d like to be able to change the pattern without re-create the head…

Thanks!!

/grodslukaren

About the glSelectBuffer:
If I can detect which polygon I hit with the mouse I should be able to use it for detecting in which polygon of my head a specific coordinate is placed???

???

/grodslukaren

glSelectBuffer returns the name, and highest z and lowest z values for the polygons.
It will of course return the name of the polygon.

Check out picksquare inside the read book.

V-man