3DS models and OPENGL (again and again...., i'll stop after this)

If you want to use a 3DS file in your OpenGL Application look at www.retre.it/opengl

With a simply dll you can import a 3DS model with materials, texture, and Trianglestrip optmized.
For now no Animations and no IK…

Does anybody knows where can i find information about Anims, IKs and how they’re exported??

Thanks.

Im very new to opengl and 3-d graphics programming in general so forgive my ignorance if you will. Will this program also import 3d studio MAX (.max) files? If not I suppose I can export the .max to .3ds, but I was just wondering. Thanks for the help in advance.

Originally posted by doogal:
Im very new to opengl and 3-d graphics programming in general so forgive my ignorance if you will. Will this program also import 3d studio MAX (.max) files? If not I suppose I can export the .max to .3ds, but I was just wondering. Thanks for the help in advance.

My program will not import a .max file, but you can export it in a .3ds file and all will work out good.
I suggest you to use my dll.

What is an IK?

IK = Inverse Kinematics

b

OK, I am familiar with inverse kinematics. I guess I would argue that exporting IK has no meaning. Perhaps one would want to save the coordinates of bodies at intermediate steps of the process. How is this different from animation? Why would you want to do that?

Originally posted by EricK:

OK, I am familiar with inverse kinematics. I guess I would argue that exporting IK has no meaning. Perhaps one would want to save the coordinates of bodies at intermediate steps of the process. How is this different from animation? Why would you want to do that?

I’d like to import hierchies and animations.

IK provides contraints that can be used to create animation in response to certain simulae. IK hiearchies can be used to generate realistic responses to gravity and wind. In the case of character animation IK is used to restrict the range of motion, rotation or translation, that is allowable at a jiont, and the precedence of the motion at that jiont relative to its parent and children.

IK is the opposite of Forward Kinematics where the animation of a hierachical chain is driven from parent to child, if you want the fingers to grab a cup you animate the hips, shoulder, forearm, wrist and then fingers. In IK you just pull the fingers towards the cup and the IK contraints on each joint creates a viable transformation at each heirachy node. ( Thats viable not asthetic, as often that character will develop hunchback sindrome ).

The difference between animation and IK is the same difference between animation and the ‘bones’ hierachy that is used in the object.

3DS file format can be found here
http://www.the-labs.com/Blender/3DS-details.html

Originally posted by Leo:
IK provides contraints that can be used to create animation in response to certain simulae. IK hiearchies can be used to generate realistic responses to gravity and wind. In the case of character animation IK is used to restrict the range of motion, rotation or translation, that is allowable at a jiont, and the precedence of the motion at that jiont relative to its parent and children.

I see. I guess I am out of date. Your description of the meaning of inverse kinematics is what my texbooks (quite out of date!) called kinematics. Except for the realistic responce to forces. That used to be called dynamics. In the old days, inverse kinematics had a much narrower definition.

[This message has been edited by EricK (edited 04-11-2001).]

I’ve tryed your dll and there is result:

• difficult object wasn’t appeared at all
  • three non-complanar polygons went into one, placed in the top of the screen
  • texured spere went into white sphere

So, it is a lot of work to do :-))

Originally posted by Sanchis:
[b]I’ve tryed your dll and there is result:

• difficult object wasn’t appeared at all
  • three non-complanar polygons went into one, placed in the top of the screen
  • texured spere went into white sphere

So, it is a lot of work to do :-))[/b]

Mail me your 3DS file. This will be useful.

Don`t waste time. Make your own 3d mesh editor and export data from this. It is hard to make, but it makes life easy