glut multi window problem on my notebook

Hi,

I am tring to write a small program which has two window showing at the same time. I searched this forum and found an example at: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum2/HTML/011888.html

I test it on SGI, no problem at all. However, my program need to be able to run on a PC so I compile that demo program on my notebook(3 years old, ATI Rage Mobility graphic card) and I can only see one window updating (depending on which one is drawn last). Is it a MS window issue or my graphic card’s problem? Can I have a way to work around with it? Thank you for your help.

[This message has been edited by irix6 (edited 12-30-2003).]

I think of two possibilities :

• Windows glut library could be so different from sgi’s one that multiple GL windows are not possible.

• Or it is a priority problem. On windows 9X, the active window have a much higher priority than anithing else. Try to click on the sluggish window to see if it goes suddenly faster.

Maybe as you suggest it is a problem with the ati rage Mobility : try to launch 2 single GL window programs. Beware of the prority stuf I mentionned earlier.

Originally posted by zbuffer_:
[b]I think of two possibilities :

• Windows glut library could be so different from sgi’s one that multiple GL windows are not possible.[/b]

Thanks for the reply. In that demo program they are using bitmap string to draw character and both window can see texts. However, those gl drawing routine has problem. I found that if I draw window1 first then the graphic will show up at very beginning then disappear when drawing 2nd window. If I draw window2 first then window1 will have the same problem. Is it caused by swapbuffer? No idea…

I just test that if I can lunch 2 opengl program at the same time and it has no problem.