What's up with the FOG?

Hello!

Recently I encountered a strage problem which I haven’t noticed before. When I set up a fog (no matter of which function - GL_EXP, GL_EXP2 or GL_LINEAR) I keep getting incorrect results. If I rotate the scene with fog enabled objects change their colors (for example ; something which is gray turns to white and a while after it ‘fades to black’ - no Metallica please :wink: ). It isn’t only in my apps since I tried a tutorial from www.gametutorials.com and it’s also works like that. That’s quite annoying because I’ve used the fog before the same way I do it now and I used to get proper results.

Do you have any idea what can cause that? My OS is Win2000 Pro - IMO it can be the source of the problem. Graphics: Radeon9200 128MB

Thanks for your help!!! :slight_smile:

I guess you have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your garphics card, isn’t it ?

I don’t really get your problem, apart the fact it looks really weird :slight_smile: Please could you :

• post screenshots showing the problem ?
  • send a link to the program if you can share it over the Web ?
  • describe the problem with other words ?

Originally posted by vincoof:
I guess you have downloaded and installed the latest drivers for your garphics card, isn’t it ?
Well, I haven’t. :]

I don’t really get your problem, apart the fact it looks really weird :slight_smile:
Still, it’s always better to understand something rather than to understand nothing at all. :wink:

Please could you :

• post screenshots showing the problem ?
    Sorry, but I can’t to that at the moment. Meaby I’
    ll try to post them later.
  • send a link to the program if you can share it over the Web ?
    :confused: Look above.
  • describe the problem with other words ?[/QB]
    Okay, I can try. So…
    The problem is that I get some terrible mess when using a fog (as we all know :wink: ). It seems that for some angles (for some MODELVIEW matrices) fog works correctly and for some other not. You see - let’s say I have a white quad. When I start to rotated it about Y axis it simply changes its colors. Sometimes it disappears, sometimes it look correctly. Funny thing. You know - I remember pretty well that when I had different OS (not W2000) everything worked fine.

Ok, bye!
Thx

The gametutorial Fog example works fine on my machine which has Windows 2000 and a Radeon8500 (which uses the same technology as your Radeon9200).

Your problem really looks like leaked driver, especially when you tell it works with other system specs. Try downloading and installing the latest official drivers, available at www.ati.com obviously.