3D objects

I am totally new to open gl.
How and were are 3d objects created?
Can they be imported from other programs?
Can they for example be imported from 3D cad drawing programs? or must all objects be made in open gl?
I have a customer who wants to view and rotate objects in a catalouge application (delphi). They have the objects in autocad. It would be convenient to import object.

Or are there other tools that is better suited for this?

Lars

Okay, first, try reading some of the stuff on this site (opengl.org). OpenGL is for drawing in 3D. You have to tell it what to draw. Loading and importing are up to you - there are many zillions of libraries out there to help you do this. OpenGL is not an application - it’s a library for programmers to use when drawing. If you’re not looking to write a viewer (which it sounds like you’re not), then you need to look for applications that use OpenGL, DirectX, or whatever, not at the libraries themselves.

Chris

Thanks for your post.
My goal is to build an application (I am using Delphi5) that have a viewer were I can rotate a 3d object. My customer can export to 3ds format, I think I have seen some libraries that can do that.

I am also working on simulations project where I want certain processes to be displayed. I think my biggest concern is if open gl is the best library to use for my aplications. For a moment I got the impression that all objects had to be built in code but I guess I was wrong.

Lars

Originally posted by chennes:
[b]Okay, first, try reading some of the stuff on this site (opengl.org). OpenGL is for drawing in 3D. You have to tell it what to draw. Loading and importing are up to you - there are many zillions of libraries out there to help you do this. OpenGL is not an application - it’s a library for programmers to use when drawing. If you’re not looking to write a viewer (which it sounds like you’re not), then you need to look for applications that use OpenGL, DirectX, or whatever, not at the libraries themselves.

Chris[/b]

Try this program at www.download.com
http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10078-100-2833114.html?tag=st.dl.10001-103-2.lst-7-5.2833114