Debate!!!

Why does almost all games use Direct3D, and those who support OGL does almost always support Direct3D to…

Why?

Is it because it’s more compatible with graphic cards, in this case why does the graphics cards mostly support D3D?

Or is it just because it’s easier, or is it easier???

By the way, is there any DirectX forum???

I have no clue. My guess is that when people starts to learn DirectX to program games, they probably learn Direct3d at the same time.

I think that direct3d is just another tool in a programming toolbox and nothing more.

it seems like the X-Box will only have Directx, direct3d support, so if you know opengl, direct3d, directx, and other platform input apis, well, you can code, for PC win, PC linux, mac, x-box and others OS and hardware platform I never heard of or don’t want to get close to now.

I would love if there was only one API!! Saves a lot of trouble, but if you want to have a large audience, well, you have know them.

Hum, probably OpenGL is much more powerful, but it only covers graphics.

Direct X got DirectInput, Direct 3D, DirectSound, DirectShow, and a lot of stuff

From what I understand, Tim Sweeney (sp?) the god behind Unreal Tournament is looking to drop support for OpenGL in future games because D3D and DirectX is being continually updated and improved, whereas OpenGL is not? Not sure how true this is or how the current version of GL stacks up to D3D, but from what I’ve heard, DirectX, etc, performs at least somewhat faster.

One the flip side, I’ve tried to do DX programming and boy did I hate it. I gave up with D3D because it was even worse. When it comes to OpenGL programming in a Win32 environment, the only part I really don’t like is Win-doze aspect of it…perhaps that’s why I despised DX–because it was as poorly designed as Win-doze? At least OpenGL has been easy to learn and the results are satisfying. I personally am hoping that GL stays around.

Ah well…

I think his statement was more along the lines of ‘for Win32 concentrating on DirectX for the graphics API, still with openGL support in Win32, this added openGL support will cover the other OS’s that dont have DirectX - Linux, Apple, and the others…’

I hope my memory is not failing me on this one, but none the less I am sure they would keep OpenGL as the alternative rendering API.

Basically You can do in DirectX alot more than in OpenGL because DirectX covers alot more, ie. input/output/sound/movies (repeating someone above me) Direct3D is == to OpenGL its a sub-system of DirectX. You could use Direct Sound/Input to play your music on Win32 but the would be useless to run or compile on Linux or iMac. It would also not run on NT4 systems unless you stuck to the DirectX 5.0 API (NT4.0 only has DirectX 5 support) DirectX 7.x is current now for win9x/2k, with 8 in beta testing. Dont be shy of DirectX in Windows. It seems the way to go for alot of things, - Keyboard Joystick input (DirectInput).

If your having probs getting started with openGL be very afraid of getting started with Direct3D, be very afraid.

Hi there!

Looks like a flame war has been started (again).

One thing first, I do use BOTH OpenGL and DirectX. Both of them have their good and their ugly aspects. However I am more addicted to OpenGL for the 3d stuff.

The thing is that the new features of the 3d cards are faster available in directx to the developers (in the beta program) than they are as OpenGL extensions.

For a software company it is a “NO BRAINER” what kind of 3d api to use in the first place (of course the one that targets most gamers). Just because we are talking about business right here and not about what is better/worse.

As far as I know, 3d card manufactures do the directx driver stuff in the first place, and than the OpenGL stuff.

On most alpha/beta prototype 3d cards I have seen their was not even ANY OpenGL ICD nor MCD that was useable or stable.

No, I’m NOT a friend of Mircosoft, but what most people do not realize in their hatred is that millions of people worldwide have a job where they develop programs for Microsoft Windows (what would they do otherwise?).

Blame (flame) me if you want (and can) but their would be not so many software companys out their without Microsoft.

Yes, i.e. Linux is faster and more relayable (I use it as an proxy, firewall and fileserver) but it is definetly nothing for a secetary.

At least what I am thinking.

Best regards,

LG

Do any of U think that D3D will be as good or maybe better than OGL sometime? I mean, DX will soon be releasing DX 8 and that also for Win2k and I think that OGL soon have to start releasing some updtates or maybe D3D will win…
Just a thought…

Then I just wonder if Linux is something to go for or? Is it like I think that its not fully developed yet??? Is Linux worth to use?

Little of the subject there, though…

linux is not fully develooped yet?
huh?

'course linux is fully armed and operationalal. Linux is TONNES easier than windows to use. IMHO, of course.

Have you ever tried installing X for Linux? oh-my-god!

Direct3D has the luxury of seemingly being rewritten every new version. Because it uses COM interfaces old code still works with the new code. Thats the ONLY good thing about COM IMHO.

THE ARB need to get the next version of OpenGL’s specs. sorted out soon. DX8 will have per pixel shaders (as flexible as Nvidia’s NV_register extensions) vertex blending (another extension is OpenGL) and a host of other ‘cutting edge’ stuff.

OpenGL can do all these things - but not all cards have to support them and the ARB hasn’t ratified most of the extensions. So it gets a bit silly when you spend half your time querying for extensions and writing work-a-rounds for lesser cards. Aren’t the driver writers supposed to be doing that!

If they don’t keep up, OpenGL WILL die on the PC platform, a shame.

Paul.

Installing X under linux? hmm???

I downloaded the network install image for Mandrake in a minute… installed mandrake over the internet in… well… i went out to get coffee, so. feh came back, answered a few poxy questions about DNS, the type of network… yadda yadda… LINUX including X is installed. pah? almost all of? 30 mins? since I downloaded hte image?

linux is cool. go use it

cheers
John

In my point of view, game developper are both working with OpenGL and Direct3D as everyone doesn’t own a 100% OpenGL compatible 3D card.
And a game is made for being sell so … they develop for Direct3D because all PC are “compatible” with it whereas Direct3D is harder to use.
Direct3D also contains DirectInput, DirectSound and DirectPlay which are very usefull for games.

Totally agree with John. (Must be in the name
And as linux gets more games ported by loki, all use OpenGL 'cause linux doesn’t have DX.
OpenGL gets more popular and games more written with OpenGL. Saves alot of porting time too. Soldier of Fortune for example was from the beginning written to use OpenGL (uses some DX too, I thought), but there is allready a port for linux (maybe other platforms too (mac?)).
It’s way better 'cause this approch widens your audience. And the effort doesn’t change, you still have to create the game. So hail to OpenGL!

John

I agree entirely with what you say about OpenGL (and OpenAL) and multi-platform gaming. The point is, if you need to tailor an install of Linux for what ever reason its really really difficult.

A company I’m doing some work for is trying to get a small Linux dist. working on an embedded PC with OpenGL - they’re not finding it easy.

Still, at least with Linux you can fully customise the install…

Paul.

First, I have to say that I enjoy these threads, as long as people don’t get nasty. We’re doing a good job here.

Now to the meat and potatoes. OpenGL will not die, simply because it was designed as, and will continue to be designed for the high-end 3D market. Its purposes are as such. It was just by happenstance that the gaming market originally picked up OpenGL, because there was no other viable alternative at the time (circa Quake 1). The only reason OpenGL ever was included in the consumer windows market (Win9X) was because of games. As we all know, OpenGL was not included in the initial release of Win95.

Enter DirectJunk. DirectX started out its life without a 3D renderer. I believe that it wasn’t until DirectX 3 that Direct3D came about. But it was a naturally evolving process at the same time.

Now as to who wins the contest, you’ll notice that even a year ago, video hardware vendors developed their cards around OpenGL, and this was OpenGL’s hayday. Now, you’ll find that OpenGL poured its influence into Direct3D, and video hardware vendors are developing for Microsoft’s camp, because it has the momentum. Thats why almost all OpenGL ICD’s for current cards are mapping back to the Direct3D drivers, aka OpenGL wrapper style.

If Microsoft dies, DirectX will too, after a short time. But we shall see.

As to which is better… its one’s personal preference. Most people say (even DX developers) OpenGL. Why do they use Direct3D then?

$$$

Thanx,
Siwko

Hi to you all.
I think linux or unix witch are prety much the same thing are easy enough and run on any machine and Dirext X exist only in Windows witch is not compatibile with any machine(maybe NT is).
On the other hand any video card that has
good 3D supports OpenGl end even if dosn’t suports OpenGl there is MGL from schitech witch impements OpenGl trough
DirectX.
As for sound input,network and sound it will be great if somebody would make a standard or a lib.(like glut)

I’m fairly new to the game but have found OpenGL to be easy enough to pick up. Quicktime does sound/video well(for those wanting a standard for including sound/video). I’m using Java and as such probably don’t see the speed that can be had using OpenGL…but even still what I’ve been doing cooks!

I’m on a mac(shame on me?) and have never seen anything done in D3D or anything else really…maybe someone will do a D3D port for the macaddicts out there(haha). As it is OpenGL crosses the board well and is most likely to succeed.

We’ll see where things go, I’m sure.

IamBob

Yeah shame on you

Nah…the Macs have to big plusses :

• their CPU is much better
  • there’s no DirectX

Just another reason why MS should split up into different companies…

I hope they don’t do this stuff and play favorites after they break up… if any of have friends in high places. I am sure you will do a good job of persuading them to help split MS.

Haha, I just realized this ironic thing… I am wearing a Microsoft shirt today…

Ok, you’ve all convinced me that Linux may be worth a shot… BUT I still can’t use my LT-Win modem in Redhat Linux, or can I ???

Originally posted by CyBBe:
Ok, you’ve all convinced me that Linux may be worth a shot… BUT I still can’t use my LT-Win modem in Redhat Linux, or can I ???

Yes you can. http://linmodems.org/linux568.zip
I’ve used it. It works.

But in addition to all the posts above, I must mention, Linux is NOT for the average computer user. That’s why it has never reached mass market. And until someone decides to make interoperability between all the GUI’s in Linux, and make the interface intuitive and “easy for Grandma”, it will never reach mass market.

I dare you all to explain to your parents how the different ls options work, and try to teach them what symbolic links are useful for.

Siwko