OpenGL initialization suggestion please

Hi,
I’ve written several programs in OpenGl using Glut with glutGameMode. All my programs compile and run fine on my computer, but they rarely run on any other computer.

I always make sure I copy some dll’s to the path of the target computer before I run it. My program always switches to my resolution (640 x 480) and then it goes back to the desktop.

So with every computer I try it on, the program tries to run, craps out, then I end up having to go under display settings to change the desktop resolution back to the way it was.

This is getting very frustrating. I know that the computers that won’t work are more than capable of running my programs.

I wonder if it has to do with glutgamemode() or if I run it on different OS’s. I develop under Windows Me and have had limited succes in testing it under Windows NT and Windows 98.

So some computers work, most don’t. I’m using VC++ 6.0 and making Win32 console apps. Any suggestions?

Most likely the computers in question either don’t have hardware acceleration, or they are using a old verion of the glut32.dll.

In my own OpenGL programs I dont use glut32.dll (the same problems like you).
I create my own OpenGL windows, using Windows functions wglSetPixelFormat () and wglCreateContext / wglDeleteContext.
Also I switch to other resoultions with Win32 API functions. If you wanna some code, just mail me.

En~~~~If you are use glut in your job project,I suggest:give it up.
glut is not develop for big project.It had better be used in demo…if you are do a great and formal project,do not use it.

suvcon : a demo can become a VERY big project :wink:

i have the same problems regarding glut and its undocumented glutGameMode(). What resource (book/website) is there to learn about switching to fullscreen and changing resolutions using winapi-calls ??

thanks