PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL initialization suggestion please

Ace_Man
01-19-2001, 05:17 AM
Hi,
I've written several programs in OpenGl using Glut with glutGameMode. All my programs compile and run fine on my computer, but they rarely run on any other computer.

I always make sure I copy some dll's to the path of the target computer before I run it. My program always switches to my resolution (640 x 480) and then it goes back to the desktop.

So with every computer I try it on, the program tries to run, craps out, then I end up having to go under display settings to change the desktop resolution back to the way it was.

This is getting very frustrating. I know that the computers that won't work are more than capable of running my programs.

I wonder if it has to do with glutgamemode() or if I run it on different OS's. I develop under Windows Me and have had limited succes in testing it under Windows NT and Windows 98.

So some computers work, most don't. I'm using VC++ 6.0 and making Win32 console apps. Any suggestions?

Elixer
01-19-2001, 08:43 AM
Most likely the computers in question either don't have hardware acceleration, or they are using a old verion of the glut32.dll.

MichaelK
01-22-2001, 03:19 AM
In my own OpenGL programs I dont use glut32.dll (the same problems like you).
I create my own OpenGL windows, using Windows functions wglSetPixelFormat () and wglCreateContext / wglDeleteContext.
Also I switch to other resoultions with Win32 API functions. If you wanna some code, just mail me.

Suvcon
01-23-2001, 05:08 AM
En~~~~If you are use glut in your job project,I suggest:give it up.
glut is not develop for big project.It had better be used in demo..if you are do a great and formal project,do not use it.

pcween^dh
01-24-2001, 01:38 AM
suvcon : a demo can become a VERY big project ;-)

i have the same problems regarding glut and its undocumented glutGameMode(). What resource (book/website) is there to learn about switching to fullscreen and changing resolutions using winapi-calls ??

thanks