opengl support?

Does anyone know of a site that lists which cards support which opengl implementation?
For example, i am trying to figure out which driver/card combination I would need to have opengl 1.2 support.

Opengl can run on any card in what is called software mode. But if you want hardware acceleration, then this is done through the video cards openGL driver. And it is up to the video cards makers to write openGL drivers for their cards.

I am not 100% on this but if you write an application using 1.2 and say the person running a video card with only 1.1 support.

The user would still need to have the 1.2 openGL dll files, but when writing to the video card it would only do in hardware the 1.1 supported commands and the 1.2 ones would be done via software rendering.

Originally posted by Jeeeez:
[b]Does anyone know of a site that lists which cards support which opengl implementation?
For example, i am trying to figure out which driver/card combination I would need to have opengl 1.2 support.

[/b]

I think just about ANY card in the would supports opengl 1.2 I dont think you would have any problems there. Only snag you may run into, is which extensions they might support. Like multitexturing, and compiled arrays. Etc. But as for just opengl 1.2 support. I think EVERY card will work.

ahhh…thanks for the responses,

–nexusone
So, you think that if somebody has a card that only has drivers for opengl1.1, if you include the appropriate dlls, that would be enough for them to make use of 1.2 functionality (in sw mode)?

– dabeav
what about older cards.ie cards made before the advent of 1.2

dabeav,

Tell that to the Trident card I have in my work computer. I used to use Win98 and the OpenGL drivers weren’t too bad, don’t remember the version offhand, but once we upgraded to 2k I found out that Trident had no 2k OpenGL drivers for this card, so I’ve been forced to use software rendering ever since.

So far as 1.2 functionality, under Windows you need to treat 1.2 functions that aren’t in 1.1 as extensions. You shouldn’t be distributing OpenGL dlls. If a person has a card that has OpenGL drivers that are at 1.2, they’ll already have the appropriate stuff. You should be checking the version string with glGetString and finding another solution to those 1.2 specific functions if the version is only 1.1.

hey,

So what makes the extensions available. Is it the driver that determines which extensions are available, and if so, would it be safe to say that if a particular driver for some card does not make the extensions available, then you have to try to find some work-around or buy a new card? I think I just repeated what you said Deiussum, but oh well…repetition = learning

thx

[This message has been edited by Jeeeez (edited 06-18-2002).]

Originally posted by Jeeeez:
[b]hey,

So what makes the extensions available. Is it the driver that determines which extensions are available, and if so, would it be safe to say that if a particular driver for some card does not make the extensions available, then you have to try to find some work-around or buy a new card? I think I just repeated what you said Deiussum, but oh well…repetition = learning

thx

[This message has been edited by Jeeeez (edited 06-18-2002).][/b]

Yes, it’s the driver that overtakes the software opengl functions and also makes available extension functions.

There are cards that only have software opengl, some only hardware 1.1 drivers, but most people have new stuff, so 1.3 drivers are likely to be there.

V-man

Nobody mentioned Delphi3D yet, they have a comprehensive list of GL versions and extensions for lots of cards/drivers.

Ahhh…great site…Exactly what I was looking for. I had been there before but didnt check out the hardware link…

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Jeeeez (edited 06-19-2002).]