Problem debugging an OpenGL application

Hello !

This may be a little off-topic…

I am haveing problems debugging an OpenGL application. I have switched computers and now I
am working on a PIV 2.8 GHz with 1024 MB of RAM
and a 9100 IGP graphics card.

After the switch I have problems with the
“ShowWindow” function. The problem manifests itself
both with Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 and Microsoft Visual Studio .NET.

I have tested this even on Nehe’s simple basecode and my computer hangs when trying to
step over the “ShowWindow” function. I have no problems
whatsoever at runtime, just when debugging.

I think my problem is related to the graphics card, as the processor is not used at all and everything
works fine, but the image sent on my monitor freezes. If I press CTRL+ALT+DELETE and Cancel, I get to see “the next frame” of my desktop. :slight_smile:

The problem manifests itself only when the window
showed with “ShowWindow” has an OpenGL context attached. If I don’t attach an OpenGL context to the window I have no problem.

I know this has little to do with OpenGL, but maybe you had some problems like mine and you can help me with this.

Thank you.

>> The problem manifests itself only when the window
showed with “ShowWindow” has an OpenGL context attached.

That probably means is has to do with the accelerated OpenGL video driver. Maybe try a newer/older/safer version ?

I have downloaded the latest Catalyst drivers found on Ati’s site. I have Catalyst 4.8. Is there a safer version ?

The latest Catalyst are safer version I think

Maybe it comes from any bugs not detected in your code, can you verify with NeHe’s tutorials

Anyway, if the problem come from a Win32 API function, you can verify all syntaxes at MSDN
tape “ShowWindow” and you can choose a descritpion affiliate at your langage/compiler