where do i start?

i’ve just opened my eyes to openGL. i have a box with winME on it and turboC compiler. where and how do i start?
plz help!

start here http://nehe.gamedev.net

this site is excellent for beginners, you’ll find plenty of tutorials (ported to a bunch of programming languages)

I HIGHLY recomend the Blue Book, OpenGL SuperBible, that will get you moving. I also recomend skipping the OpenGL Image loading, and use OpenIL for this (www.imagelib.org) code name Devil. Its basicaly the same style syntax (based on OpenGL) but much easier to use. I also recomend getting versed in GLUT, this makes things VERY easy. And eventualy sound, use OpenAL, very portable, very clean, same sytax as OpenGL, only drawback is basicaly only wav support, but you cant have everything. Good luck.

EDIT:
I almost forgot, RIP WINME right the f*** off of that system, and either put win98SE, or win2k on there. WINME is buggy as all hell. Thats my personal experience so i could be wrong. Thank you.

[This message has been edited by dabeav (edited 05-16-2002).]

email me if you want to blue book and the red book… Good stuff.

There is a book in the Prima Game Development Series called “Game Programming in OpenGL” that I hear is a very good book. I have their multiplayer game programming book, and it is VERY easy to read and to understand. I recommend both if you are going to be doing games. They are $60 each and you can probably get them at www.amazon.com

Anyways, Definately ditch windows ME, because the sheer number of bugs is overwhelming. I’m using win XP and vc++ 6.0 and everything’s working great. You can get the OpenGL SDK from this site and there’s a readme to help you set that up.

Also, whenever you have a question, feel free to ask it here. The folks here are very nice and extremely knowledgeable. I’m a beginner, too, and some of these folks helped me get my environment up and running.

Also there are some great tutorials at nehe.gamedev.net as well as some good glut tuts at www.codecolony.de (at least I found them helpful).

Hope this helps!

-AsylumX

Find a new compiler as well. Turbo C++ is an old DOS compiler and isn’t capable of making Win32 executables, which you’ll need if you want to do OpenGL.

Tuesday’s coming. Did you bring your coat?

Originally posted by glie:
i’ve just opened my eyes to openGL. i have a box with winME on it and turboC compiler. where and how do i start?
plz help!