How do I start?

Hi, I’m pretty new to OpenGL/GLUT and stuff. So far I’ve made a few programs on a friend’s computer, but I’d like to make them on my computer.
I have a Windows XP Home PC. What do I need to download, where can I download it, and what directories do I place the files in?

Thanks a ton,

Andrew

I am new to this stuff too. I also have a windows XP (home) system. Opengl dlls were already on my system to start using. opengl32.dll, glu32.dll and glut32.dll were in my system32 folder. I use visual basic so cant help you with C/C++ - but vb didn’t need any includes or lib files. I just reference declares to the dlls directly and i am having a blast making stuff.

That all depends on what compiler you are going to use (Visual Studio, DevCPP, MinGW32, OpenWatcom, Delphi…)

Mikael

Rather than make a new topic I’ll post here, I hope the starter doesnt mind.

Ok, I just got the ATI RADEON SDK. I am totally new to OpenGL and wondering if some people would mind answering some questions.

I am using DevC++ as a compiler and I am fairly adept in C++.

1. Is C easier to use with OpenGL than C++? The two languages are so similar that I know that if I learn both I’ll end up getting majorly confused. I’m willing to switch now if you think that it’ll make learning OpenGL easier.

2. Any preferred compilers for openGL or is DevCpp good enough?

3. Could you please link me to some beginners tutorials? Free would be preferrable as I spent all my money on an ATI card so I could get a decent SDK (intel doesn’t have one to my knowledge). Once I get $20 I will get the OpenGL guide this site links to, I would just like to learn some in the meantime.

4. How high is the learning curve in openGL? I heard that it is one of the toughest languages to use, but how long would it take before I am able to make an object travel in a specific trajectory?

Sorry if some of the comments sound odd, please do not flame. Thanks in advance.

Since you just started out you’re fine with what you have.

DevCPP is more than capable of producing OpenGL code, or there’s the free VS2005 Express from Microsoft.

For starting out, don’t bother with the ATI SDK. (It’s more focused on the Direct3D API IMHO), but even their OpenGL code isn’t really meant as a beginner’s stepping stone.

Check out nehe.gamedev.net and that’s probably a good enough spot to start from.

hth,

MinGW32 (same compiler is used in DevCPP) and Visual studio both have all you need to compile opengl application, you need the opengl32.lib/libopengl32.a and glu32.lib/libglu32.a and the headers files (included with the compilers).

MinGW32/DevCPP of later versions can handle ordinary .lib files so you do not even need the .a libraries.

It does not matter if you use C or C++ the OpenGL API interface is the same anyway so use the one you fell most at home with.

The NeHe tutorials have complete examples for Visual Studio and if I remember correct most of them have MinGW32 code also, this can be used with DevCPP.

Mikael

For everyone new, a good start is nehe page: nehe.gamedev.net

However, for you Mac users, NeHe doesn’t always support Mac OS X. Not in an obvious way, but that they start off with a Mac OS tutorial, and then continue with a Windows tutorial. And their functions don’t even match, so it can be very confusing at first.

If this happens, use OneSadCookie.com to get you started. Then continue with NeHe tutorials.

it’s worth remembering that C is a subset of C++. I would recommend that you start with C if you are unsure as the you are most likely to end up writting poor C++ code if you do not undestand the design concepts behind C++.

Hope this helps

[QUOTE]Originally posted by token_noob:

1. Is C easier to use with OpenGL than C++? The two languages are so similar that I know that if I learn both I’ll end up getting majorly confused. I’m willing to switch now if you think that it’ll make learning OpenGL easier.

i like in programming, but i have no idea to start it,as i’m hardly know anything . Can anyone please help me to start in the road of programming?