NeHe tutorials don't work...

I’m new to OpenGL. I tried to use Bloodshed Dev C++ 4.0 to compile some of the NeHe tutorials but they did not work. Is it because I did not use Microsoft’s VC++ compiler? Is there an alternative to the MVC++ compiler? Thanks in advance.

First of all, download the latest version of Dev-C++ at BloodShed.net . Next, when you download the code from NeHe’s tutorials, scroll to the very bottom, there should be a port to Dev-C++ for most tutorials. And to answer your question, MSVC++ is not required to use OpenGL or the NeHe tutorials.

Well, actually I have downloaded the newest version of DCPP and I have dowloaded the latest updates for the Graphics and Games category for the downloads. For me, I got the DCPP 4 to work with OpenGL and I still yet have to get the new version to work. I link opengl32,glut32,glu32,glut.

I have opened the code from NeHe and it still has the errors having to do with GLut.

what are said errors?

its something about Exit@
i remeber that there is a line of code u can put at the beginning…

[Linker error] undefined reference to `__glutInitWithExit@12'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `__glutCreateWindowWithExit@8'

[Linker error] undefined reference to `__glutCreateMenuWithExit@8'

are you linking your library files? That is what the linker error is 99% of the time. Just go to the project settings and then linking and set glut32.lib in there.

#define GLUT_DISABLE_ATEXIT_HACK

To elaborate on chowe6685’s comment:

GLUT uses a hack to work around a problem with how VC++ handles atexit(). To disable this behaviour, define GLUT_DISABLE_ATEXIT_HACK before including glut.h, i.e.:

#define GLUT_DISABLE_ATEXIT_HACK
#include <GL/glut.h>

thanks alot guys…u can deffinately expect me posting questions around here in the future…lol
bein 13 and all :smiley:

im having a similar problem, in dev c++ i copy the code from the dev c++ download off of nehe’s web page, then i say compile and run, and it gives me this

146 untitled1.cpp`CDS_FULLSCREEN’ undeclared (first use this function)
146 untitled1.cpp
(Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
146 untitled1.cpp
for each function it appears in.)

any help would be nice

from lesson 12:
#ifndef CDS_FULLSCREEN
#define CDS_FULLSCREEN 4
#endif

thxs for the help, but i checked out lesson 12 and i could not find that, so my program is still not working and im getting tired of trying stuff

:slight_smile: Thank you all for help, i’ve got all the tutorials working.
Reply for <help me>:
tutorial 12 works fine on my computer and i have Dev C++ 4.9.8.0. My “includes” are:
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <windows.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <gl\gl.h>
#include <gl\glu.h>
#include <gl\glaux.h>

In project>project options>parameters>linker
I have
-lopengl32 -lglu32 -lglaux -lkernel32 -luser32 -lgdi32 -lwinspool -lcomdlg32 -ladvapi32 -lshell32 -lole32 -loleaut32 -luuid -lodbc32 -lodbccp32

And I also placed glaux.dll into the folder with the source to be compiled.

for <help me> again: BTW, u should probably open the project file for the tutorial and check the stuff i wrote about there, because the source does not contain any linking info in it.