Can I do OpenGL in Console programs ???

The sample tutorials are not Windows programs. They seem to be console programs. However when I try to compile them they do give an error in Visual C++ 6.0. I’m running WindowsXP.

Can someone explain why I can’t use OpenGL in console programs and why are the tutorial programs written like that?

-AJ

What error?

What do you mean by console programs? main() vs winmain()?
That won’t be your problem.

What sample programs are you talking about NeHe’s are all windows programs. The red book uses glut wich creats a window as well.

What do you mean by console programs? main() vs winman()?

That is exactly what I mean.

What error?

I forgot what error it was, i can still get it for you if you want it.

Can someone give me an OpenGL console program that will compile in Visual C++ 6.0 and run on WindowsXP.

What sample programs are you talking about NeHe’s are all windows programs.

http://www.eecs.tulane.edu/www/Terry/OpenGL/Examples/Hello_World.c

ok my program is like this:

#include <gl\gl.h>

void main()
{
}

I get these errors:

--------------------Configuration: openGlTEST - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling…
opengltest.cpp
c:\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\gl\gl.h(1152) : error C2144: syntax error : missing ‘;’ before type ‘void’
c:\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\gl\gl.h(1152) : error C2501: ‘WINGDIAPI’ : missing storage-class or type specifiers
c:\microsoft visual studio\vc98\include\gl\gl.h(1152) : fatal error C1004: unexpected end of file found
Error executing cl.exe.

openGlTEST.exe - 3 error(s), 0 warning(s)

try including windows.h explicity before gl.h

This example is written for Linux X windows, not windows:
Requires a library called Tk which may not be a version of it written for windows, need to check on it though.
Also the examples on that webpage are also almost 7 years old.

http://www.eecs.tulane.edu/www/Terry/OpenGL/Examples/Hello_World.c [/b][/QUOTE]

If you want a good source for openGL under windows, nehe.gamedev.net is a good resource.

Your bit of code:

#include <gl\gl.h>
void main()
{
// You have a empty main with no window opening commands!
}

This is not enought code to do anything, you also need to have code in which to open a window. OpenGL has no windowing commands, it is strictly a drawing API. So you ether need to open a windows with Native windows code or a API like GLUT.

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 02-04-2004).]

“This example is written for Linux X windows, not windows” - well, put it this way: that error is because windows gl headers depend on windows.h. If it is a linux program, then odds on it wont compile under VCPP as it lacks the Linux windowing headers etc.

I don’t mean this in a patronising way, but are you sure you have a windows port there?