PDA

View Full Version : Performance issue in general

08-04-2000, 08:46 AM
AMD K2-2 550 w/ 128MB RAM and 2 Voodoo 2's in SLI.

I've written some sample programs using HeNe's samples. My stuff and his seems real slow. I'm getting about 2-5 frames/sec on most demos, other demos are even slower such as the partical shower. This is all done in C with MS vis Studio 6.

I'm using the standard header and lib files that came with VC98 and latest platform SDK. Is that my problem? Also, I know OpenGL is fast since I play Quake 3 and that games rocks on my system. I have noticed that the OpenGL screensavers also have the same performance problem.

Could all the floating point be the cause of this? Was a majority of the Quake engine done in assembler?

Please help to find the reason why things are so slow over here.

Ken
08-04-2000, 09:28 AM
For Voodoo2, you need to download latest driver from 3dfx, rename 3dfxvgl.dll to opengl32.dll, and put it into the application folder.

Using this method, I get usually over 60fps for Nehe examples with single Voodoo2.

Ken

08-04-2000, 10:09 AM
Yep, that did the trick. To make it global, I just copied 3dfxvgl.dll right over opengl32.dll in the \windows\system directory. I wonder why 3Dfx didn't do that for us.

08-04-2000, 07:39 PM
yeah... lucky for you, you can replace the opengl32.dll, I *can't* everytime I do, Win2000 rewrites it with it's own friggin dll

warlordQ
08-05-2000, 02:42 AM
lucky for you, you can replace the opengl32.dll, I *can't* everytime I do, Win2000 rewrites it with it's own friggin dllNow that sucks !!!! I know microsoft dosn't like OpenGL that much, but to change the opengl dll's to the way they like it, is getting beyond a joke ( there's noway im getting windows 2000 )....

Most 3D venders are shipping OpengL 1.2 with their drivers... Becuase Microsoft refuses to update OpenGL to 1.2 on their O/S's... Now they make it so you can't have opengl 1.2 on windows 2000.... that pisses me off !!!

MikeC
08-05-2000, 05:07 AM
That's a little unfair... Win2k protects ALL system DLLs, not just the ones Microsoft doesn't like. This is to stop applications breaking other applications by installing incompatible DLL versions - what used to be known as "DLL hell". On balance it's probably a step forward.

If you look at the ARB minutes, MS plan to release a FULL OpenGL 1.2 implementation (including the optional imaging subset) with Win2k SP2. I know the team in question has some unfilled vacancies - for some strange reason OpenGL programmers don't seem too keen on working for Microsoft - which may be slowing them down.

As for why 3Dfx didn't ship their OpenGL driver as "opengl32.dll", they couldn't. As a 3D-only, fullscreen-only solution they couldn't meet the requirements for an ICD.

ngill
08-05-2000, 05:44 AM
well... that's good to hear... =). Is the MS 1.2 implementation in SP2 going to have MMX optimizations and such?? what about 3DNow! ?

well... I am almost done downloading SP1, any news when SP2 is gonna be here? A couple of months?

DFrey
08-05-2000, 05:44 AM
Exactly, which is why you should dynamically load the 3dfxgl.dll at run time, rather than having your executable linked to the opengl32.dll. However, I have still noticed that for this to work, I still have to copy the 3dfxgl.dll to a temporary directory, and rename it opengl32.dll, as gdi seems to want the dll named as opengl32.dll. But at least this way, I'm not trouncing over the users dlls, and I can also support multiple vendors cards within the same computer. I currently have a Voodoo2 and a TNT, and I can run my app on either one, just by choosing which opengl implementation to load. Just like many OpenGL games I've played can.