Black light effect

I would like to pull off a Black light effect in a scene that I am creating.
The objects would be solid colors, like the florescent green, red, orange, like the colors you see on black light posters.

Also glowing effect on a object, light a black light bulb.

Any suggestions on how to create these effects?
Material setting suggestions? Lighting?

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 03-12-2002).]

[alex trebeck]
I’m sorry, but you’ll have to repeat that in the form of a question.
[/alex trebeck]

How to create a black light effect?

Originally posted by yakuza:
[b][alex trebeck]
I’m sorry, but you’ll have to repeat that in the form of a question.
[/alex trebeck]

[/b]

Honestly, I don’t know an exact prescription to accomplish what you are proposing, I just felt like giving you a hard time.

However, some thoughts do come to mind, and it makes me wish I wasn’t at work so I could test out these ideas… For example, what does a black sphere look like with colored emissive properties?

My initial impression is that you’d need to use a fair bit of texture trickery, since I’m not sure that just using lighting and materials would produce the desired effect. You know how objects in a blacklight get that hazy look? I guess it has something to do with the flourescent light hitting dust particles in the air or something, but some sort of volumetric haze or light fog could add some feeling, I think. Some blended textures for halo’s might help as well.

I’m thinking that the flourescent objects are going to need to be emmissive, to capture the glowing effect of the blacklight. I just did a moderately extensive google search, and had no luck finding any examples of someone doing something similar. Sounds like a neat project!

I imagine you’re looking for more solid ideas, sorry I’m just kinda rambling. Hopefully this might give you some ideas of things to try?

Yea, I have had day’s like that also, in a little mischievous mood…

A halo effect around the object, or have the object emmit light but with some diffusion to it. Or maybe two of the same objects, one over the other. The inside one emitting the light, the other with a semi-transparency to diffuse the light…

[b]Honestly, I don’t know an exact prescription to accomplish what you are proposing, I just felt like giving you a hard time.

However, some thoughts do come to mind, and it makes me wish I wasn’t at work so I could test out these ideas… For example, what does a black sphere look like with colored emissive properties?

My initial impression is that you’d need to use a fair bit of texture trickery, since I’m not sure that just using lighting and materials would produce the desired effect. You know how objects in a blacklight get that hazy look? I guess it has something to do with the flourescent light hitting dust particles in the air or something, but some sort of volumetric haze or light fog could add some feeling, I think. Some blended textures for halo’s might help as well.

I’m thinking that the flourescent objects are going to need to be emmissive, to capture the glowing effect of the blacklight. I just did a moderately extensive google search, and had no luck finding any examples of someone doing something similar. Sounds like a neat project!

I imagine you’re looking for more solid ideas, sorry I’m just kinda rambling. Hopefully this might give you some ideas of things to try?[/b]

I like the idea of two objects, one emitting and the other diffusing… I think I’ll try something like that in my project this weekend. I’d love to see some screenshots if you get some cool effects working!

And I just noticed you’re in Gastonia. I grew up in Durham until I was 21!

I will post something when I get it working…
Sort of have a web site in which I plan to post some of my GL stuff…

My sister used to live outside of Raleigh, in Cary. I used to visit that area a lot as a teenager. (I can see the flames of being off topic now…)

[b]I like the idea of two objects, one emitting and the other diffusing… I think I’ll try something like that in my project this weekend. I’d love to see some screenshots if you get some cool effects working!

And I just noticed you’re in Gastonia. I grew up in Durham until I was 21! [/b]

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 03-12-2002).]

Originally posted by nexusone:
(I can see the flames of being off topic now…)

Heh, I think since we’re in the Beginners forum, we’re allowed to be off topic.