OpenGL programming in Suse 8.0

Can anyone help me setup the environment to start programming openGL in Suse 8.0 .
I am an absolute beginner in openGl and want to code in C on Suse 8.0
Any type of help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Hi !

There is a Linux forum on this website, might be the best place to get Linux specific help.

Most Linux distributions already comes with everything you need to develop OpenGL apps, even though you might be using software rendering only, but that should at least get you started.

Some times you must get drivers from the manufacturer of your graphics card, for example if you have an nVIDIA based hardware you should go to their website and download drivers, full documentation on how to install it is included and it’s pretty simple.

Then you might beintesrested in downloading some demo applications that work on Linux, you should find lots of links on this website and with google.

Mikael

I use Redhat, but what GUI do you use? GNOME or KDE?

I use Kdevelope to create my openGL programs, nice GUI interface. If you are used to using something like VC++ on windows then this would be a good choice.

If you install suse with the option of as a workstation with the programming tools, then you will have the core openGL library’s installed.

If you have a name brand 3D video card then most likely you will have openGL hardware support under xfree86

Originally posted by rbiswal:
Can anyone help me setup the environment to start programming openGL in Suse 8.0 .
I am an absolute beginner in openGl and want to code in C on Suse 8.0
Any type of help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

I run my home server on SuSe 8.0 Pro and I use KDE.

BTW let me know if you can get wine to work in your distro. Mine never has.

Under KDE, you have a couple of options:

Kdevelope can be used to write any type of openGL application, I have been using glut.
But if I remember correctly Kdevelope has a openGL templete using the KDE windowing frame work.

Grab some openGL code and see how far you can get.

Originally posted by c0d3Junk3Y:
I run my home server on SuSe 8.0 Pro and I use KDE.

[This message has been edited by nexusone (edited 08-07-2003).]