model out of bitmap

Hi

This has nothing to do with OpenGL but I was wondering if you know any method to create a 3d model (at least a side of it) out of a bitmap. Does any 3d modeller support such function?

Thanks.

Do you mean create a model with a side that is a polygon, or create something like terrain using a heightmap? I’m not quite sure what you are asking. Could you clarify?

• Halcyon

Thanks.

Basically I am interested in making a 2d character - something flat. I was wondering if there is way to make such a model by using a picture.

Originally posted by HalcyonBlaze:
[b]Do you mean create a model with a side that is a polygon, or create something like terrain using a heightmap? I’m not quite sure what you are asking. Could you clarify?

• Halcyon[/b]

trace the bmp (find edges). Find corners, these are your poly points… but no I don;t know of any modeller that does it.

Well, if you want to make a 2d character, then what you want to make is a sprite. All you have to do is create a quad and texture it with your character. There is some other stuff in between like colorkeying and what not. But a textured quad is the basic idea

• Halcyon