Info about SDL...

Im currently using GLUT for window init and mouse/keyboard stuff… but i dont really like it, its too fiddly… i dont weant to use win32 coz i hate m$ and also it would be non-portable and messy code…
I hear about SDL… can someone give me some info on it? Like, is it good? :slight_smile: and is it fast/slow, stable, functional, etc…

It’s very good, fast, stable, portable, and best of all, you get to write your own message loop instead of using callback functions.

I’m using SDL (with Linux) and I’m very impressed with it. As far as OpenGL is concerned, SDL fires it up then gets out of the way.

I like what SDL can do, but I DONT Like how involved it is to code. I prefer to use GLUT for input myself. Some people say GLUT is too slow for input, but i simply create a bool KeyDown[256] array, and when ever a key is pressed set the value, and simply check that value each frame, then if its released reset the value. This speeds glut up GREATLY.

I also prefer OpenALs sound setup to the one SDL uses, and devIL works well with OpenGL also.

All in all I do LIKE SDL, but i would prefer
OpenGL(graphics), devIL(image loading), OpenAL(sound), and glut(input), all of which carry the OpenGL syntax, so NO new stuff to learn.

Id only use SDL for input and initialisation of the window… i hate using 3rd party image loading software, i code the loaders myself…
Its just that glut is beginning to **** me… Its crap for input imho, slow as, and i did a test:
win32 app with just a triangle spiining, and glut app with a triangle spinning… GLUT is noticeably slower. I know that with a more complex program the difference wouldnt be very big, but nevertheless, performance matters.

But i also HATE win32, anything to do with M$ ****s me, and i use windows 98 only coz i have to, cant get 3d drivers working in linux ;-(