PDA

View Full Version : Info about SDL...

MrShoe
08-07-2002, 12:45 AM
Im currently using GLUT for window init and mouse/keyboard stuff... but i dont really like it, its too fiddly... i dont weant to use win32 coz i hate m$ and also it would be non-portable and messy code...
I hear about SDL... can someone give me some info on it? Like, is it good? :-) and is it fast/slow, stable, functional, etc...

ioquan
08-07-2002, 07:58 PM
It's very good, fast, stable, portable, and best of all, you get to write your own message loop instead of using callback functions.

gib
08-07-2002, 08:45 PM
I'm using SDL (with Linux) and I'm very impressed with it. As far as OpenGL is concerned, SDL fires it up then gets out of the way.

dabeav
08-08-2002, 05:59 AM
I like what SDL can do, but I DONT Like how involved it is to code. I prefer to use GLUT for input myself. Some people say GLUT is too slow for input, but i simply create a bool KeyDown[256] array, and when ever a key is pressed set the value, and simply check that value each frame, then if its released reset the value. This speeds glut up GREATLY.

I also prefer OpenALs sound setup to the one SDL uses, and devIL works well with OpenGL also.

All in all I do LIKE SDL, but i would prefer
OpenGL(graphics), devIL(image loading), OpenAL(sound), and glut(input), all of which carry the OpenGL syntax, so NO new stuff to learn.

MrShoe
08-10-2002, 12:24 AM
Id only use SDL for input and initialisation of the window... i hate using 3rd party image loading software, i code the loaders myself...
Its just that glut is beginning to **** me... Its crap for input imho, slow as, and i did a test:
win32 app with just a triangle spiining, and glut app with a triangle spinning... GLUT is noticeably slower. I know that with a more complex program the difference wouldnt be very big, but nevertheless, performance matters.

But i also HATE win32, anything to do with M$ ****s me, and i use windows 98 only coz i have to, cant get 3d drivers working in linux ;-(