Clipping affects graphics performance

Is there an efficient way to use the clipping facility without seriously affecting the graphics refresh rate. When I do not have it turned on, the response that I get is excellent, but when I turn it on, the graphics become sluggish.

Many thanks

I might be wrong, but maybe if you restrict the clipping to the z area of interest, i. e. focus on the z-coordinates of the objects you want to be rendered and cut out the objects that you don’t want to be rendered.

By the way, I guess that smaller clipping plane, more faster is rendered. Sorry my English…

Not all hardware support clipping planes, in this case it is done by the CPU so it is much slower. try with only one cplipping plane maybe.

How do I find out whether a graphics card supports clipping. I suppose the fact that my computer grinds down is indicative of the non-hardware clipping feature.

Many thanks

This sort of feature is typical of professional cards, maybe not the consumer/gamer oriented ?
ie, nvidia’s Quadro has hardware clip planes :
http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=445&catid=2

Many thanks for your advice. I tried the same program on my desktop which has an FX-5200 graphics card and there the clipping works brilliantly. The machine that I had problem with was a laptop where obviously the graphics card is pretty much a bog standard graphics card for laptops.