multiple video cards/drivers

How do you tell OpenGl which video card is going to do the work? I’m writing on win32 and would basically like to ask “video card 1, video card 2, or software?” Mainly because my primary card blows and can’t even run the simplest opengl animation smoothly.

Hi iji!

Unlike DirectX from Microsoft, OpenGL does not support multiple devices.

That means you eighter get OpenGL acceleration on one card or not.

This depends on the OpenGL driver that is registered.

Regards,

LG

under win32 you have to tweak things a bit, i think.

…but i’m wondering how can you have two video cards into one PC… maybe one is AGP and the other is PCI…?

btw, win32 has a key into the registry wich tells to the opengl library (opengl32.lib) wich driver (opengl.dll, nvopengl.dll, g200icd.dll, …) should be loaded when opengl is requested.
the key is:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\OpenGLDrivers]

you could change the settings there with win32 functions, and see if it works.

i had a post wich told me that NT has different keys… but if you don’t bother NT…

Dolo//\ightY

OpenGL with Multiple Monitors Quandry:

I am running 2 PCI TNT2 cards, and 1 GeForce AGP card, and the latest NVidia reference drivers (including the NVidia OpenGL ICD) on a spanky Athlon 800-Mhz K7 system with Windows 2000, with no problems.

DirectX 7 running on 2000 appears to do an admirable job of managing this multiple monitor setup. I can run my multimonitor DirectX test applications, across all three display devices. Currently available OpenGL-based games work fine on the primary monitor.

Now I want to write my multi-monitor graphics application in OpenGL, not DirectDraw or Direct3D, but I wouldn’t mind using the DirectX multimonitor support. I don’t want to wait for the consortium to finish the Fahrenheit project (which may or may not marry OpenGL and DirectX in an equitable fashion).

The OpenGL.org FAQ recommends against using OpenGL to render into DirectX surfaces, because the solution is not hardware-driver independent.

Does anybody have any recommendations for writing multi-monitor-capable OpenGL applications for the Windows 2000, or even NT 4, platform?