How to code in OpenGL?

How do i make something in OpenGL? I’d like to start coding in OpenGL but i don’t know how. A fiend of mine told me i would need a 3D modeler so i got 3D Studio Max 4.2. What’s next?

Read some tutorials from http://nehe.gamedev.net

like glYaro said, read some tutorials, but you won’t need any 3d modeler. OpenGl is, after all, just a library but for graphics(it’s not just a library, it’s a damn good one, probably the best!).

if you are experienced in windows programming(creating windows and stuff) then you should check: www.gametutorials.com, if you’re not then you better start learning.

i learned OpengGl from there, it’s just excelent because it teaches you ALL the basic concepts and some complex ones too.

good luck…

[This message has been edited by jcabeleira (edited 07-24-2003).]

Creating models is just one part of writing an openGL program, you need to get a compiler to create the program itself.

If money is not an object there is Microsoft Visual C++ 6.

But also there are some nice free C/C++ compilers out there. I personally used DEV-C++ and also have used lcc-win32.

Also would be good to get a book on openGL like the openGL programming manual.

There are a few good on-line openGL tutor sites that will help build the skills with openGL to create a program that will load your 3D studio object.

At stated this is a good site to start with nehe.gamedev.net

Originally posted by Doom_Writer:
How do i make something in OpenGL? I’d like to start coding in OpenGL but i don’t know how. A fiend of mine told me i would need a 3D modeler so i got 3D Studio Max 4.2. What’s next?

I am teaching myself also through the nehe tutorials and i recently purchased the “Red” and “Blue” OpenGL books.
RED:OpenGL Programming Guide
BLUE:OpenGL Reference Manual

It isnt all that necessary to get the latest edition, you may want to try addall.com, this will search alot of available vendors for used copies of the book.

Good Luck