Is this actually possible ?

ok, I’m new to all this so I hope I can explain what I’m trying to achieve below.

I want to create a “abstract” 3d grid of cubes each the same size. For eg: 3x3x3 cubes. Inside each cube I want to display a bitmap, they will all be the same image. I then want to be able to rotate the camera around the entire matrix of cubes and zoom in and out.

I also want the user to be able to enter text into the window which gets display onto these images. The user must also be able to select a cube.

The problem I’m having is I have no idea where to start! Most tuts are on game programming and I’m not doing that. I have got GLUT working but can’t find anything on billboarding.

And to add to the complexity I want this matrix of cubes to be unlimited in size, eg: axbxc -

Does anyone have any ideas ? Where to start or if this is possible ? I’m working in c++.

thanks!

Craig

http://nehe.gamedev.net

Will show you how to create objects, map textures to an object, select an object (also called “Picking”), rotate and zoom a scene, render to a texture (taking text entered by user and putting it on the cubes)

You may have to look at several tutorials too gleen the info you’re looking for.

Originally posted by craigw7272:
[b]ok, I’m new to all this so I hope I can explain what I’m trying to achieve below.

I want to create a “abstract” 3d grid of cubes each the same size. For eg: 3x3x3 cubes. Inside each cube I want to display a bitmap, they will all be the same image. I then want to be able to rotate the camera around the entire matrix of cubes and zoom in and out.

I also want the user to be able to enter text into the window which gets display onto these images. The user must also be able to select a cube.

The problem I’m having is I have no idea where to start! Most tuts are on game programming and I’m not doing that. I have got GLUT working but can’t find anything on billboarding.

And to add to the complexity I want this matrix of cubes to be unlimited in size, eg: axbxc -

Does anyone have any ideas ? Where to start or if this is possible ? I’m working in c++.

thanks!

Craig[/b]