HI folks, I am totally new

I have read a few books, I also had about 3 months of C++ in school.
I own Borland C++ 4.5.
I want to know how I can link that
with OpenGL
How do I use the OpenGL files,
I know that Borland C++ 4.5 has GL files in it.
How do I set up my compiler to do that.
Thanks

If you know the borland compiler, just add the openGL lib’s to the linker settings: opengl.lib, glu.lib, glut.lib(if used).

Then go to nehe.gamedev.net and download some of openGL tutor’s programs writen for the borland compiler.

also can do a search for sites that support it also.

Originally posted by Danishviking02:

I have read a few books, I also had about 3 months of C++ in school.
I own Borland C++ 4.5.
I want to know how I can link that
with OpenGL
How do I use the OpenGL files,
I know that Borland C++ 4.5 has GL files in it.
How do I set up my compiler to do that.
Thanks

OK I hear you,
But, where do I change the linker settings
Do you mean the project settings
which is above the environment settings
(I am hoping you are someone with Borland C++ 4.5)
where it says C:\bc45\include
C:\bc45\lib ???
thanks

Not exactly, those tell the compiler where to look for the libraries and includes but there should be something to do with Link or Linker settings that have a list of *.lib files. This is where you need to place the gl libraries. I haven’t got my Borland C++ installed as I’m using Visual C++ at the mo, so can’t be exactly sure whereabouts this option is.

Tina

If Borland is like most look under compiler menu and settings.
In the settings should be a liker options.

C:\bc45\include
C:\bc45\lib
These directory’s are where the files are stored, but does not tell the compiler which ones to use though.
Most program are set to look for openGL includes files in a GL folder.

example:
C:\bc45\include\GL

OK I hear you,
But, where do I change the linker settings
Do you mean the project settings
which is above the environment settings
(I am hoping you are someone with Borland C++ 4.5)
where it says C:\bc45\include
C:\bc45\lib ???
thanks

OK folks, I think I have figured out how to access the linker with Borland C++

I just learned how to use the start run
button on my windows task bar.
I learned how to access TASM 5.2
I learned how to access tlink.
Is TLINK the linker I need to link the APIs?

If it is, what is the syntax I need to link stuff?

You might have already said.

thanks

TLINK is the linker which you use to link your objects you assembled with TASM. That means, you could make an .exe of your asm-code. but to link other stuff (like APIs) in your C-program, you should use the linker of cour C-compiler.

thanks hollowcoder!

I just would like to know where I find such linker,
Thats my problem,
where is that linker,
I would like to know.
Can you tell me where it is,
Thanks buddy

This has got to be a joke.

• Programming for only a few months.
  • Just learned how to use start->run.

My suggestion is that you aren’t yet ready for OpenGL. Come back in a few months when you’ve learned to use your computer.

If you insist on attempting OpenGL, you should learn a little about how your compiler works. First, your .cpp files are compiled down to object files. Next, those object files are all linked into a single binary, usually a .exe or .dll.

Both of these steps are usually performed behind the scenes by the compiler. What you need is to find the project settings for adding additional libraries to be linked in the linker step. This is going to be found somewhere within the IDE for Borland C++. Once you set this project setting, you won’t have any additional steps to perform when compiling. You won’t be needing to use TLINK, or TASM, or any other app outside of the IDE.

One other thing that should be cleared up. You’ll want to link in opengl32.lib and glu32.lib not opengl.lib and glu.lib. The 32 versions are the ones that windows uses and if you use the ones w/o the 32 you will be linking to totally different DLLs, which you may not even have.

BTW, what I said about linking to DLLs should probably be explained somewhat. Those .lib files basically contain information for the entry points into those DLLs. When your app runs, it can then use those DLLs so that the code doesn’t need to be compiled directly into the .exe.

I learn by using,
I dont press a billion different buttons, I just simply map things out,
Otherwise how will I find it.
Dont tell me I dont know how to use my computer.
I appreciate the other advice you gave me.
There a combination of things I want to do with my compiler.

I was only asking about link settings.
I wasnt sure if the tlink was the right one,
someone was nice enough to tell me it wasnt, I am use to VC++.
But I dont like some of the stuff it does.
I dont need people to tell me that I cant use my computer,
I am asking for help.
I know how to use DOS

Thanks latrans

What some people on here get upset about is when people say, “Oh I have been programming for sometime”.
Then ask a question on how to do something simple that if they had been programming should know.

Given they are diffrent compilers out there, but most work in a similar fashion. I have used compilers from M$VC, Lcc-win32, gcc, etc… and since I knew how one worked only took me a few minutes to get the others working.

But the thing that get me most is people who will not take the time to read the manual on how to use the #$@%#% software…
If you had took the time to read the borland Doc/manual file, this would not have even had to be a question.

[b]I learn by using,
I dont press a billion different buttons, I just simply map things out,
Otherwise how will I find it.
Dont tell me I dont know how to use my computer.
I appreciate the other advice you gave me.
There a combination of things I want to do with my compiler.

I was only asking about link settings.
I wasnt sure if the tlink was the right one,
someone was nice enough to tell me it wasnt, I am use to VC++.
But I dont like some of the stuff it does.
I dont need people to tell me that I cant use my computer,
I am asking for help.
I know how to use DOS[/b]

nexusone, thanks
I do not own the 4000 page borland manual,
I do have the one for Turbo C++ for DOS,
its not even half the size.
If I had the 4000 page manual,
darn right I would have read it.
You couldnt tear me away from it.
I am still looking for that
30 pound manual.

thanks nexus one.!

I enjoy reading very much

Do you know that book’s have a thing called an table of contents and a index.

The table of contents will tell you where in the 4000 pages of a book the linker function is talked about.

The other neat thing is the index, you can go to it and look up a word. Say like linker and find pages out of the 4000 pages that talk about the linker function.

Of course now a lot of these books are now on the CD or can be downloaded from the internet, and the computer has a nice little function call search text. Just enter the word and you can go to that page with a mouse click.

I hope that this is helpful, and learning this will help you in the future as you learn the art of programming.

[b]nexusone, thanks
I do not own the 4000 page borland manual,
I do have the one for Turbo C++ for DOS,
its not even half the size.
If I had the 4000 page manual,
darn right I would have read it.
You couldnt tear me away from it.
I am still looking for that
30 pound manual.

thanks nexus one.!

I enjoy reading very much[/b]

I appreciate your help, as well as the sarcasm
Like I said I dont own the book,
I will look for it,
I would much rather have the CD
then again 4000pages might be good exercise and that might be good too.
Thanks again

I am just in a smart a$$ mood.

But if you really want to get into programming C/C++ and openGL, a book on both will come in handy. Beat’s having to wait for a reply on something.

And if your own a budget you can find good used books on both a very cheap price.
I got most of my C books for under $20 and my openGL book.

I appreciate your help, as well as the sarcasm
Like I said I dont own the book,
I will look for it,
I would much rather have the CD
then again 4000pages might be good exercise and that might be good too.
Thanks again

Hi folks umm im new to this and i am considering designing some 3d games of my own and was wondering what programs and software i should use for this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I haven’t been to any book shops yet to have a look at many of the programming books but if you have some tips please give me a yell here or at charm_31@hotmail.com Thanks for you time

Howdy pacman,

Whatever you do dont ask any borland questions in here LOL.
if you are using Visual C++,
Then there are people here way smarter than I am that can help you! LOL

hey pacman, what’s going on?

i’m going to assume by your language that you’re just getting started with programming. you only need a few tools to get started. get yourself a good compiler. which one exactly isn’t all that important. i use visual c++ 6.0, but i’ve heard good things about borland compilers and dev-c++ (which is free). this is assuming you’re using windows.

next you want a good c++ programming book. eventually you’ll want to have a comprehensive reference book like “the c++ programming language” by bjarne stroustrup, but for now you want a good tutorial book. i didn’t like the books i used (which will go unnamed), but i’ve heard good things about “c++ primer plus” (stephen prata) and “c++ primer” (stanley lippman). “c++ how to program” (deitel & deitel) is also very good.

finally, i’d recomment not trying to learn to program 3d games as you learn how to program. it’s just not a good idea. once you become a reasonably proficient programmer, then you can begin to learn the math and APIs necessary for graphics programming.

good luck.

imho forums like this should be used for questions you cannot solve simply by looking in a book/manual or the internet…
Like, most people here dont appreciate the 1000 posts a month on “how to load a 3Ds model”…