opengl download

where can i download the latest opengl header and source files. Because I am having a hard time finding them on this site!

simple - go to your graphics card vendor’s site and acquire it there.

:regards:

ok thx

But if opengl.org is the main site for Opengl then why dont the deliver libraries. I can understand that there are some platforms in which each source file must be ported to but i can’t see the difrence if that is being done by the vendor or by a central agency like the ARB. Afterall is the aim of Opengl not to be independed?

OpenGL.org set’s the standards, but it is up to the OS maker and video card maker to write librarys and video drivers that are compliant.

It would be a real task for openGL own its own to try and keep uptodate library’s for every OS and write binary drivers for every video card. Having each OS maker and video card maker write binary files, frees up the openGL to keep working on improvements to the API.

Now if Microsoft would stop dragging their feet on updating there librarys, lucky though the video card makers keep there drivers up todate with the newest openGL routines that can be accessed through extensions.

Since openGL is a 2D/3D graphincs only libray it does not support any system type calls. So unless you use some cross platform API like GLUT or SDL, your source code is going to contain some code that is based on a spcific OS.

Originally posted by <sir geekson>:
[b]ok thx

But if opengl.org is the main site for Opengl then why dont the deliver libraries. I can understand that there are some platforms in which each source file must be ported to but i can’t see the difrence if that is being done by the vendor or by a central agency like the ARB. Afterall is the aim of Opengl not to be independed?[/b]

I was going to recommend getting opengl headers from opengl.org but they’ve managed to hide them.

Anyhoo, get the common headers that should be found here and get the drivers with the runtime libs from the card makers.

Anyone care to supply the gl.h and glext.h links in this thread?

The other thing you can do is use the SDK from the manufacturer but typically if you want to make portable software with the latest stuff you need a superset of the available extensions and that needs tokens & prototypes from the glext.h.

Thanks.

The latest glext, wglext and stuff can be found here :slight_smile:

extension

Hope this helps !