Pause after GL_LINE_STRIP

Hi,
I am new to OpenGL. I am working on a project where I need to read data from a input file, store coordinates in an array and then draw the image by using GL_LINE_STRIP and coordinates in the array. I also need to pause after each line is drawn so you can see the image being rendered line by line with about 0.3 second pause after each line.

I have everything finished, the problem I have is with the whole animation of lines. It hangs for a while and then draws the whole image at once, without any delay after each line.

void main(int argc, char** argv)
{
   	PromptFileName();
	CreateArray();
	ReadData();

init_window(argc,argv);
    other_init(); 

glutMainLoop();             
}
void init_window(int argc, char** argv)
{
    glutInit(&argc,argv);
	glutInitDisplayMode (GLUT_RGB); 
	glutInitWindowSize(500,400); 
	glutInitWindowPosition(0,0); 
	glutCreateWindow("2A"); 
}
void other_init()
{
	glClearColor(1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0);    
    glColor3d(0.0,0.0,0.0);			    
	glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION);
	glLoadIdentity();
	glOrtho(-2026.0, 2026.0, -2026.0, 2026.0, -1.0, 1.0);
	glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW);

glutDisplayFunc(display); 
    glutKeyboardFunc(keyboard);
}
void display(void)
{
	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT);
    glClearColor(1.0, 0.0, 1.0, 1.0);
	glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT);	

for (int i=0; i<arraySize; i++){
        sleep( (clock_t) (0.3 * CLOCKS_PER_SEC ));

glColor3f(i/10.0, 1.0, 0.0);      
//arrayPtr has the coordinates
        if (arrayPtr[i][3] == 1)    // if this row is marked as jump
        {
            if (i != 0)
                glEnd();
            glBegin(GL_LINE_STRIP);
        }
        // draw a line strip
        glVertex3f(arrayPtr[i][0], arrayPtr[i][1], 0.0);

glFlush();                      // clear buffers
        sleep( (clock_t) (0.3 * CLOCKS_PER_SEC ));

}

glEnd();
    glFlush();
}

Thank you.
-Tom

It’s illegal to call glFlush between glBegin/glEnd.

You’ll need to draw the line segments one at a time with glBegin(GL_LINE_STRIP);glVertex3f();glVertex3f();glEnd() then sleep().

don’t sleep when rendering. sleep before or after. Otherwise it’s just like kicking in the air…

If you do not use double buffering, then you will have to use just GL_LINES and draw one line at a time, so glBegin/glVertex/glVertex/glEnd/sleep.

If you use double buffering, then you should draw entire line loop from beginning to current segment and call swapBuffers each time.

i guess the sleep function you are using is the one from unistd.h? in that case, the function takes only integers as arguments, and it is not possible to sleep for a fraction of a second.

you better try usleep. usleep takes an unsigned long argument, which is the number of microseconds. if you want a delay of 0.3 seconds, you need usleep(300000).

Maybe he’s using this sleep example from the MSDN
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vclib/html/_crt_clock.asp

Thank you all for your help.
Actually you are correct, I was using that sleep method. But now I am using the “Sleep(DWORD ms)” method from <windows.h>.

And my problem was trying to use glFlush() inside glBegin(…) and glEnd(). After I moved glFlush() after glEnd(), everything is working fine.

Thanks again.
-Tom

There’s a gem of a function in OpenGL called glGetError. If you place one of these calls after all significant blocks of GL code, you’ll have a real time saver in tracking down problems like this one. The errors themselves are pigeonholed into a handful of enums, but they’ll sure help you to confine your search. Look at gluErrorString (in glu.h) for a displayable string version of the enum returned by glGetError.

http://www.mevis.de/opengl/glGetError.html
http://www.mevis.de/opengl/gluErrorString.html