PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL File Format?

GarlicGL
11-09-2001, 09:58 AM
All,
Is there an OpenGL File format for specifying geometry, textures, materials, etc.?
I found a package that translates 3ds files to OpenGL format but I guess I need to know
the API itself.
Thanks,
Garlic GL

Coconut
11-09-2001, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by GarlicGL:
All,
Is there an OpenGL File format for specifying geometry, textures, materials, etc.?
I found a package that translates 3ds files to OpenGL format but I guess I need to know
the API itself.
Thanks,
Garlic GL
OpenGL is an API not a file format.

GarlicGL
11-09-2001, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Coconut:

All,
the API itself.
Thanks,
Garlic GL
OpenGL is an API not a file format.

I know that OpenGL is an API but i was asking about a special file format that contains geometry information and textures and materials, sort of like .Xfiles for directX.

Coconut
11-09-2001, 11:28 AM
I know that OpenGL is an API but i was asking about a special file format that contains geometry information and textures and materials, sort of like .Xfiles for directX.

There is simply no "a special file format" for OpenGL. You may just want to pick a popular format used in your type of application, and look for packages\toolkits\libraries to load the data of that format.
Search for "3ds" in the forum may show you somethings...