Which type of Window creation is advantageous

Which method is advantageous? if possible why?

1. Creating a window using windows system calls
  2. Creating a window using GLUT

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by SGB:
[b]Which method is advantageous? if possible why?

1. Creating a window using windows system calls
  2. Creating a window using GLUT

Thanks in advance[/b]

if your code shall be portable you may want to use glut (many ppl do although i personally don’t like glut, but i don’t like windows, too)

They each have thier advantages and disadvantages. Using the windows api, gives you more control over the process, while GLUT allows it to be cross-platform. So which you should use is really up to a few other things. Are you already using GLUT? Is this program supposed to be cross-platform? Or is it going to be Windows only?
If you are already using GLUT then by all means use GLUT to do it, unless you really need more control. If you are not using GLUT and the program is not to be cross-platform, then use the windows api rather than add the burden of an extra library.

[This message has been edited by DFrey (edited 04-15-2002).]

I have seen in many tutorials. they all use windows system calls. But some people used glut. Is it because of flexibility or related to controls(controlling different parameters easily)?

I am using glut which i find it easier than windows api. I’m using only GL,GLUT&GLU functions to create & display. but I guess its takes a heavy toll in terms of speed which makes animation lot slower.(created just two section of pipe)

How about SDL? is it good to use that?
I’m working on some X platfor projects, and am currently facing this dilemma. Do i use Glut, do i use SDL, or do i use #defines with compiler arguments? (platforms are win and lin).

I hate to have to inlcude APIs if i really don’t have to. but i can see myself using them on more than one occasion (like SDL for display and input handling etc…)

any ideas?