just a kid...

hi everyone, since im new here i will tell u about me:

im a 13 years old boy, i live in dominican republic, im n 8th grade, and im a electronics maniac…

i came here asking for some help about Gl and all of it utilities (using ONLY Dev-C++) i want to be a progam and game developer but i need some help making my own shapes :confused: so im askin for some help and for some examples (if u can send them to me or write them)

here is a project i made…
Rapitoproject
im looking formward to an answer.
please help this kid to make his dream come true. :rolleyes:

I would recommend going here first, and using the GLUT tutorials:
http://www.zeuscmd.com/tutorials/opengl/index.php

then once you have done and understand those tutorials I would get the redbook here:
http://www.opengl.org/documentation/red_book_1.0/

thx!!!

i would like to know what u think about that project i posted?

i think it would be nice to see something other than

“You cannot access the content “Rapitoproject.zip”.”

:wink:

i just realized it myself…
could you tell me a free upload webpage?

I can not download it. It is telling me that access is denied. Are you sure that you have posted a correct link?

im asking you to tell me a web page where i can upload files for free, streamload has some problems,tough…

Here is list of some free pages: http://www.thefreecountry.com/webhosting/freefilehosting.shtml

ok…
at last i could upload da file here :
Rapito'sProject

-------------EDIT-----------------
Don’t forget to tell me how u like it :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to be a program and game developer and make your own shapes, you’ll have to make your own modeler (or editor). This isn’t an easy task, but can go along with the development of your game engine.

You’ll have to learn maths (mainly about geometry, trigonometry). That’s crucial for making games whether they are 3D or 2D.

Creating shapes, like quads, circles, disks require some knowledge about maths. Study the shapes well.

I quickly looked at your project. The sources look well programmed. This is all I can say for the moment.

What kind of help are you expecting exactly ?

im have already a very considerable knowledge about maths (geometry and stuffs) but i cant tell you anythin about trigonometry, if i can have an introduction to trigonometry i would probably learn it very fast (my especiality is math).
…i know a little bit of how makin my own shapes (first i have to create my desired shape with primitives[lInes] then i cjust have to fill them as polygons, right) but i dont understand very much the normal3d function, dont know why it’s used for.

and how do i make my own modeler? what is a modeler anyway(if you say that is an editor, what kind of editor)? cant you send (or write) and modeler or shape example?

Dont get mad at me im just a kid wuth a gigantic knowledge thirst (what 13 years old guy u know that have programing knowledge?);p:p

im very gratefull for your help!!!

If you want to be a program and game developer and make your own shapes, you’ll have to make your own modeler (or editor).

I do not think that creating modeler on your own is good idea. Many game developers are using third party modeling packages like 3D Studio Max or Maya and invest their time into engine and game instead of making tool which will take long to create and even then it will be for general modeling task inferior to those packages.

Originally posted by Rapito:
much the normal3d function, dont know why it’s used for.

Normals are used for lighting. They represent direction perpendicular to the mesh surface at vertex position.

what is a modeler anyway(if you say that is an editor, what kind of editor)? cant you send (or write) and modeler or shape example?

Modeler is tool that allows you “easily” create 3d meshes for use in your engine. Examples of comercial modelers often used in game development are 3D Studio Max and Maya. For your use it will be better to use Blender http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html which is freely available with the source code.

i oonce tried to use 3d Max studio but it didnt even run it load the loading mini screen and then buff it closes, then i stop trying to use it anyway. someone can send me a shape example writed please?

someone can send me a shape example writed please?

Any complicated shapes are generally not written directly in c++. They are stored in files. They are read from that file and displayed using generic functions independently on what that shape that is.

I do not think that creating modeler on your own is good idea.
Sure it is. Well, at least Id, Valve, Croteam, and and Epic think so, to name a few.

For character animation, Maya and its ilk are great, but for game-world editing, not so hot, depending of course on what you’re after.

Originally posted by <simplex>:
Sure it is. Well, at least Id, Valve, Croteam, and and Epic think so, to name a few.

Those named firms are making moneys on licensing theirs engines so any work put into implementing their own modeler that is fully integrated with the engine will paid to them as it is giving them some advantage aginst competition in engine licensing “battle”.

If firm does not plan to sell their engine then implementation of really good modeler may be too costly in terms of both price and manpower. If level geometry is significantly complex, Maya or similiar program will have advantage aginst “home made” modeler due to numerous modeling instruments available.

I do not talk here about level editing tool in which externaly created models are combined with gameplay specific elements or various visibility informations to create the final level, such tool is advantageous for any firm.

but for game-world editing, not so hot, depending of course on what you’re after.

Yes if you have special requirements or limitations on geometry possible or if you wish to use CSG modeling then certainly specialized tool will be better.

If you construct level by connecting “high polygon soup” parts with some artist defined visibility information using editor then easy of creation of that “polygon soup” in Maya like modeler is advantage.

OK, Komat. Whatever you say. This is a bit OT and so I’ll just leave it there.

Rapito, whatever you do, remember to have fun, the rest will follow. Look at the FAQ on this site. It has loads of information on how to get started.

And check this out (lots of links at bottom of page):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

Good luck! :slight_smile:

i would like to know what u think about that project i posted?
Looks good i have only few mostly subjective comments.

• In more complex program it would be better if you write more comments about what functions or nonobvious parts of code are supposed to do. This is especially usefull if code is accessed by more than one people or if you need to modify program code after long time.[]Try to use more descriptive variable names (angle instead of a and so on).[]If you define some variable within the function try to do so close to code where it is used and not at the beginning of the function so someone reading that function does not have to move between beginning of the function and code it looks on.[]During development it is usefull to call glGetError at least once per frame so you can detect some errors you may create (e.g. using incorrect enum as function parameter)[]There is handy macro assert. It checks if value of its parameter is true (nonzero) and aborts program if it is not. During the abort it prints (in what way this is done is compiler dependent) text of its condition and name of the source file + line number it is used on. It is really usefull if you use it to check that variables are in expected ranges and pointers are not NULL because it allows to catch errors that would otherwise go unnoticed for long time. This macro is defined in such way that it can be compiled out if desired for performance reasons which also means that its should have no side effect (e.g. something like assert( index++ ) should be never used).[*]Unless you really wish to have the first frame cleared with white background, order of glClear and glClearColor in RapitoTriforce should be swapped.

Hey guys i havent been online seen afteryesterday…
i just read your messages and the only thing i have to say is “thank you, for helping me so much”.

i’been in a lot of discussion boards and every single one of them have told me “go to bed, your just a kid”

im very greatfull to you guys, if all people were like this there will be no worries in the world…
anyway i just finished reading the tutorials of openGL and i learned a lil bit of something, i will keep studing openGL until i master it, who knows maybe you works for me someday at my company “Rapito’s” :-p (using OpenGl of course)

i thank you again for everything!!! :slight_smile: