About performance

I am testing a new program in two different computers
a) Pentium 4
b) Pentium 3

The response time displaying the graphics is in extreme different.

Is there any function to detect the type of graphic card installed so I can treat each one in different way?

Thank you

I dont know if there is a function to detect a type of device to treat it differently, but if you are trying to keep your program running the same speed on the same machine you check the time every frame and subtract from the previous time to get an elapsed time from frame to fram and then you can control the animation using the elapsed time I dont know if you are using Win 32 or glut and I dont have to code for a win 32 app but if your using glut I will post it.

glGetString(GL_RENDERER)

You should be checking the extension string for all the extensions your binding.

Thinking about determining video card’s performance by GL_RENDERER is an awful idea. Do you know how many video cards are there? Do you know how each video cards performs with your program?
Example: fill-limited with high z-complexity. Kyros would probably kill even GF-FX.

I suggest to listen to what Terminator3 said to you.
Listen to him, measure frame time and adjust your complexity accordingly, provided you can do this on the fly. I personally suggest you to let the user choose. Some users like to have more detail than speed. Leave them an option.

This is a much better option because it accounts for a whole system performance. A GF6600GT on a P3800 would probably be slower than a GF4 on a Athlon2000+… thinking the video card is the only component which affects performance is not always a good idea, altough it may be in a lot of cases (GPU bound).

:rolleyes:

Is there any function to detect the type of graphic card installed
glGetString(GL_RENDERER)

so I can treat each one in different way?
You should be checking the extension string for all the extensions your binding.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Originally posted by Obli:
A GF6600GT on a P3800 would probably be slower than a GF4 on a Athlon2000+…
Errata: should read as P3-800Mhz. (Whoops)

I appreciate everyone’s comments.
This opens my alternatives for this issue.