Microsoft Plans for OpenGL

I’m wondering, will microsoft ever release a .Net binding for Opengl? Will Longhorn support opengl? Although there are other bings like Tao and CSGL however, i would like a more official and standardise binding that everybody will use.

Thanks

James

Hi !

Don’t count on it, Microsoft don’t want you to use OpenGL (you should use Direct3D and nothing else Bill says), so I don’t think they will do it.

Mikael

I think dot net code is interpreted so slow and crappy.

and i believe that bundling opengl with
windows NT and 95 was one of the actual
reasons for sucess of windows…

Originally posted by gimli:

Actually, it’s compiled to a common CLR byte-code, kind of like Java. Unlike Java, the .Net “VM” seems to be much faster at running that byte-code than the Java VM is at running Java byte-code.

So far as getting OpenGL bindings in .Net from Microsoft… Don’t hold your breath. I have started working on my own Managed C++ OpenGL wrapper because I didn’t like any of the ones I saw out there, but haven’t really had time to finish it. I still prefer to do most of my programming in C++ than C#, so it was really just a project for me to see if I could what I wanted.

I have also seen the Managed DirectX in action, and i’m starting to think that MS will not be providing bindings for opengl. After all MS wants Managed DirectX to become the Graphics Standard API. I’m starting to think within a year or so they will win. After all most games nowadays are built with DirectX anyway. Damn MS.

gp343 wrote:
I’m starting to think within a year or so they will win. After all most games nowadays are built with DirectX anyway. Damn MS.

It’s not only about games (although, I think that Doom3 is coming out for OS X at the same time as for Windows). There are lots of scientific/simulation/visualization projects that use only OpenGL. Add to that, every other OS besides Windows supports OpenGL.

Yes, damn MS for what they’re doing to the profession, but also cheer up. :slight_smile: When this “Longhorn” business comes out and folks really start to feel the grip of DRM tightening around them, I think you’ll really start to see consumers moving toward other OS’s (mostly GNU/Linux and OS X).

Even folks like Deiussum might switch. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by jmg:

Even folks like Deiussum might switch.

Ha ha!

Actually, I have 2 computers at home running Slackware. My main computer still has WinXP, though.

We also work exclusively with Windows at my job, using mostly C#. My job is probably the only reason I have done much with C#, I much prefer C/C++ for personal projects. I can’t complain too much, though… Before we started using C# at work, we were using mostly gag VB!

Originally posted by gimli:

Yeah, as Deiussum said, this is just wrong. C# != interpreted, interpreted != slow, interpreted != crappy. It’s amazing how many people heard something some time ago that some person said, and forever after keep dragging up the same statements, even though it was wrong in the first place and/or no longer relevant.

As an example, how many people here think Java is interpreted? Bzzzt, wrong.

How many people here think C# is going to be less capable than C++? Bzzzt, wrong.

How many people think post-compilation can never rival the speed of pre-compiled code? Bzzzt, wrong.

Compiler theory has made lots of progress over the last few years - if you learned something five years ago it’s probably utterly, utterly wrong now. Many people are still working from outdated knowledge, so research your sources carefully.

Don’t even take my word for it! As an anonymous name I’m no more trustable than anyone else - seek out research papers and industry-sponsored reports and make your own mind up.