Is it psssible to do the following?

Hi all, I would like to ask is it possible to do a skydome that will have different appearance on different time (like sunrise, sun set, star at night) ( i would like to show the environment in the real world) and then based on the environment, the corresponding shadow is cast?

Thx a lot!!!

Yes

Originally posted by wow:
[b]Hi all, I would like to ask is it possible to do a skydome that will have different appearance on different time (like sunrise, sun set, star at night) ( i would like to show the environment in the real world) and then based on the environment, the corresponding shadow is cast?

Thx a lot!!![/b]

Hi, would you mind give me some reference link, material etc that I could have so that I could do such sky dome?

Thx a lot

It’s not only possible, it’s easy. Load your skydome or skybox texture into Microsoft Paint or Photoshop or whatever and darken it, add stars and whatnot. Then use alpha blending to phase in and out from one to the other.

For a good tutorial on blending to go nehe.gamedev.net and check tutorial 8.

For a good tutorial on skyboxes go to www.gametutorials.com.

One last tip is disable lighting while drawing the skybox - do your own lighting in the bitmaps.

You’ll find other useful information in tutorials 7, 18 and 23.

My city demo does this somewhat. The code is terrible but if you can sift through it you’ll find an example.
http://daltxcoltsfan.tripod.com

Good luck.

Thx a lot!! But how can I cast the shadow of the object based on the sunrise, sunset etc?

that entirely depends on how you do shadows now

I don’t have much ideas on the shadow casting… is that using shadow volume is the best way to do the shadow casting?