When i use opengl to play CS it always freezes the comp...

When ever i use opengl to play CS it always freezes my computer… why is it?

I have:
Amd Athlon 1.3ghz
Visiontek GeForce 3 (not xtasy)

And on newer games like RTCW it hardly crashes…is it becuz the HL engine is too old or somethin? Plz answer this becuz im frag hungry.

If it is just OpenGL can it be a bug in the game or drivers. If you can not run OpenGL or Direct3D games do you probably have to change some BIOS variables.

i have the same problem. cs always freezes in opengl mode after the first few seconds. would it work if i change some options ? r there any options available ?

Hmmmmmm well my Direct3D Works fine…but the only problem is, is my Opengl… hmmmm o well. Lemme see wut happens next year when CS: Condition Zero comes out. Thanx

i get the exact same problem , only this it only happens to me when i connect , cuz i can browse the menus at will , i have 2 run CS using direct3d …
Note : In my machine it happens with OpenGL and Software modes

You can check control panel -> system and see if everything looks OK.

Yes I have the same problem, after I switch the video settings to Default OpenGL. After I enter a game, like 15 seconds later it automatically disconnects me from the server.

Try downloading the newest drivers from nvidia…xp i think the det 3’s. I downloaded these for my friend and it stopped the freezing problem on his geforce 2 MX. If that doesn’t work try setting your agp rate to 4x…this might fix it as well.

Originally posted by apple goodness:
Yes I have the same problem, after I switch the video settings to Default OpenGL. After I enter a game, like 15 seconds later it automatically disconnects me from the server.

do you run an amd or a pentium, cos so far, only amd’s suffer from this problemo!

Originally posted by Raptor-X:
[b]When ever i use opengl to play CS it always freezes my computer… why is it?

I have:
Amd Athlon 1.3ghz
Visiontek GeForce 3 (not xtasy)

And on newer games like RTCW it hardly crashes…is it becuz the HL engine is too old or somethin? Plz answer this becuz im frag hungry.[/b]

http://members.tripod.co.uk/dodclan_rw/ati_fix_hl.exe
this will fix probs with hl and opengl overflows, not RTCW