my card cant see opengl!!

ok, so i have a geforce fx 5200 graphics card. every time i try to play a game (half life, cs, DoD, soldier of fortune) i get the message: fatal error: error initializing gl driver, check that the file “opengl32.dll” exists. oh, it exists allright. i ran a search for it, its there. there is a copy in windows\system32 and one in windows\system32\drivers. maybe its not in the right place, or whatever is looking for it doesnt know where to look. ive tried going to nvidia’s website and updating the driver, ive tried going into the control panel and hitting update driver under my graphics cards options…nothing is working. im not very tech savvy at all. can anyone help?

Perfect! i have exactely the same problem you have! i tried lots of things like install again and again Steam or my CATALYST drivers, but nothing works! Ive got a ATI RADEON 9200 128Mo card, and ive got the same error message when i’m launching games!

Please help us! :frowning:

in have the same problem with my VisionTEK Xtasy 9200 pci card, i had the problem before i had this new card, which leads me to believe something is wrong, but not w/ the card

I didn’t have this problem before i format! So i don’t really understand the problem… someone can help us plz?? :frowning:

i found this:

do start
then run
then type win.ini
find the line that says DVA=0
put the “;” before it so it looks like ;DVA=0
save and close the file

and it works? :confused:

Heu… is it normal that i don’t find that line with DVA in the win.ini file??

i dont know i havent tried it yet on my pc, but i saw a post somewhere else that said i should do that

someone can help us, because it is a really boring problem, and also an important problem :frowning:

yeah, someone please help us…

ok i just tried to do the putting ; before DVA=0 thing, but i didnt see DVA=0 on there either. words cannot express my frustration, so i must use this red angry face instead: :mad:

Just a little question to corner the problem:

You said you installed the latest drivers from Nvidia. When you open “display properties->Settings->Advanced” do you see a “Geforce FX 5200” tab?

If its not there, the driver didnt installed properly. That could be because of several things. Antivirus software preventing the driver to register properly is one of the most common ones.

Me i have a radeon, but i didn’t think that the antivirus could cause problems, im going to try to install drivers and desactive my norton, thx for the help, i try immediately!

i desactived my antivirus, but there is always the same problem avec uninstall/reinstall drivers CATALYST!

Im going to get crazy :mad:

I’VE FOUND THE SOLUTION :smiley: :smiley:

You just have to download this file .zip and then to replace your “OPENGL32.DLL” file by the one which is in the .zip

Enjoy it!

(PS: the openGL32.dll is located in C:\WINDOWS\System32)

I see you are not pleased for saying “thank you” :eek:

the “dva” “fix” will only be helpful if your OS is Win 95

to julian: i tried that, but it didnt help…i guess we didnt have the same problem.

to qwerty77: i went to control panel/ display/ advanced, and the geforce fx 5200 tab was definitely there…as far as i can tell with my limited knowledge, the driver is ok. steam worked fine for a long time, then just quit. also, i can play cs in software mode if i dont go through steam. only when i try to use steam (better servers, or i wouldnt be bothering with this), or when i try to play cs in opengl video mode, do i get error messages. thanks for the help, everybody

Originally posted by java9406:
[b]to julian: i tried that, but it didnt help…i guess we didnt have the same problem.

to qwerty77: i went to control panel/ display/ advanced, and the geforce fx 5200 tab was definitely there…as far as i can tell with my limited knowledge, the driver is ok. steam worked fine for a long time, then just quit. also, i can play cs in software mode if i dont go through steam. only when i try to use steam (better servers, or i wouldnt be bothering with this), or when i try to play cs in opengl video mode, do i get error messages. thanks for the help, everybody[/b]
I have the exact same problem, or at least something like that
please help me!! :frowning: